Green brittle stars fish and invert safe?

clownfish24

Non-member
Hi,

Saw a recent thread about brittle stars being reef safe. But I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with them killing fish or inverts? I recently inherited a 10-inch one (came with tank of live rock I bought on CL). It has lived peacefully with a royal gramma for years. I wanted to add it to my 55g with 3 damsels (1.5 inches each), cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp and emerald crab. How likely is it that he will kill something?

Thanks much,

Mary ("clownfish24")

Green brittles will sometimes trap small fish when they get large. They will hold themselves up so that the body is like a table, when a small fish swims underneath the star will grab the fish and swallow it.

Green brittles will sometimes trap small fish when they get large. They will hold themselves up so that the body is like a table, when a small fish swims underneath the star will grab the fish and swallow it.

I read the same thing. I have two regular brownish brittle stars and they are perfect tankmates. I always heard though that the green ones can get real mean when they get bigger and will take your fish.

Yea, I've only seen it with a green one. The one I had started to do the table thing after a few yrs. Around the same time I started seeing the table like behavior I had a couple damsels disappear with no explanation.

I didn't see anything, so I can't know the star was the culprit, but it was enough that the star got banised to the sump and eventually given away....

hmmm i'll have to look for this tableing thing

Not to get off topic but what type of Star Fish would be best for cleaning in an FOWLR and for both parties to leave each other alone.
I know about 10 years ago I had a CC Star and the fish was eating it.

We used to inheret killer brittle stars at the shop all the time. The green ones get really big so unless you keep him super well-fed...

Giving the star a chance...

I will try keeping the green brittle star with the damsels until I either see that "table-ing thing" or a damsel goes missing. Thanks everyone...

i don't think they are saying that it wouldn't try to eat your expensive cleaner and fire shrimp, if that makes a difference.

Back