Hair Algae problems!!

rmleal

Non-member
Its all over my tank and i been sucking some out and been doing some water changes but nothing. Iv tested and get nothing:mad: I got some emeralds and dont really see them so dont know if they doing anything. i got a hippo and beauty and they eat very little please help:mad:

Assuming we are talking about standard hair algae.....Snails and hermit crabs, and if that doesn't work...more snails and hermit crabs. Take it easy on the water changes, they might not really help that much.

I currently have a little algae problem myself. First of the emeralds will take care of bubble algae not the hair algae. What I have done for the hair algea is take removed moved of it manually and added some mexican turbo snails for the hair algea along with more frequent water changes. It has slowly beeng going away. I suggest trying some of the methods that i have done.

Also there is the method of dosing sugar. There are a few threads on here about people dosing and have some success. Depending on how severe the outbreak it is maybe you might want to look into that.

I followed some suggestions of some experienced reefers and added turbo's AND Emerald crabs (who I constantly saw eating hair algae). I was told to stop changing water so much and it seemed to have worked... no more hair algae. The Emeralds did wonders.... I put 4 in my 65gl, they were eating the hair algae off of one Turbo I had... piggy backed him for a while... :)

My emeralds eat hair algae all the time, only problem though is that they're like a lawnmower, they only cut it short. I need turbos and other snails to come behind the emarald to suck the remaining algae off.

I hope you are using RO/DI!
I'm a firm believer in,"if you can count your snails,you don't have enough".
Also,I'm going to get a phosphate reactor for sure.I've been hearing good things about Phoshar as the media.
As I mentioned on time on here I won some Phos stop at one of the BRS raffles.I figured I would give it a shot.Skimmer when crazy for 24 hrs.
But the HA has all but disapeared.I even have to suppliment my emerald with formula 2 as there's no green left.lol
I weed by hand often also.But what I take out doesn't grow back.

Back