Half of open brain apparently bleaching, help?

scubaD

Non-member
We purchased a beautiful green and purple open brain about a month ago. It was doing great until mid last week. It would puff up and extend its little filia, had a vibrant color, etc. Now it doesn't really puff up and the outside of it appears to be bleaching. Which makes little sense to me. we have a 70 gallon tank with a single 250W 14k mh with 4 24w T5 actinic lights. If any of it was going to bleach I would expect the part closer to the center of the tank to bleach, not the part farthest from the center of the tank. It is not totally white on that side, but it is definitely faded. We don't want to lose it but we don't want to haphazardly move it either. Any ideas/suggestions? water params: Nitrite:0 Nitrate:0, Ammonia:0, Calcium:420, Alkalinity 7.7, the latter two are low because we fell down on dosing for a few days. Thank you.

David

Is it directly under the light. If it is, move it to the side. 250 watts may be too much for it. Alot of lps prefer lower light areas.

it is placed about 3 inches from the far left side of the aquarium. but it is that outside side that is bleaching? Though our light has a very good reflector so the light spread is pretty even to the edges.

I had a simular problem with my red and green open brain a few months ago. I have had it for 8 months or so and one day it suddenly deflated and stayed that way for weeks and began bleaching. I moved it to a more shaded area and it recovered a little but still not 100%. We then discoved a very small snail burrowed in the bottom portion of the flesh. we pried it off and iodine dipped it. A few days later it reinflated and has been fine since. It is actually too big for our tank now so I think I need to sell it! Good luck! Nicole

Back