Hammer slowly bailing out.

Coalminer

Non-member
Hey guys, I've been absent for a while, but my tank is still plugging along, other than an issue with my hammer.

Over the past 2 weeks or so, it's been slowly bailing out heads one at a time. At first i thought that it was just the heads that were next to the rock work, either getting picked at or just dying off as the coral grows in an outward direction.

My Ca and Mg are low, as well as a slightly low alk, but everything else seems within parameters. Has anyone seen these particular parameters affect LPS like this? Pics:

IMG_3213_zpse4cjmzk1.jpg

IMG_3215_zpsjug6s4sf.jpg

As you note you need raise your alk and calc before you lose it...imo

It has happened to in the past, especially with torches

Thanks, I knew that Ca was needed for building skeletons, but I didn't realize that it was impact an LPS that much if it was deficient.

I dosed a mix that I have on hand, but I probably need to look for something more regular.

Update: My hammer is down to about 3 heads from 23-25.

I think that this is just a symptom of a larger problem. Here are my water measurements from today. I look horribly negligent here, but I swear that I do check stuff, it just doesnt always happen at once and get logged!

Alk and Mag are Salifert test kits, everything else is a mix of Red Sea and Petco products, so there is definitely a margin of error. Salt is currently Instant Ocean, but my last water change (2.5 weeks ago) was Reef Flakes for the first time. I was dosing Reef Complete Ca/Mag/Stront blend before my Alk started dropping off and hurting the hammer.

Just before I left on vacation 2 weeks ago, I dosed baking soda to raise the Alk from 7.5 to 8.5. Nothing has been dosed since to alter Ca or Alk. So what is dropping it that much and that quickly?

I guess I'm just seriously underestimating the amount of alk and calc getting used. Thanks again for the help.

Good to see you kicking around still! The GSP is doing great there! (I lost my colony due to neglect). I had a small crash before and for me it was lack of water changes and high salinity. Your Specific Gravity looks a bit on the higher end as well so any evaporation could cause the LPS to respond negatively as well.

Good luck!

Good to see you kicking around still! The GSP is doing great there! (I lost my colony due to neglect). I had a small crash before and for me it was lack of water changes and high salinity. Your Specific Gravity looks a bit on the higher end as well so any evaporation could cause the LPS to respond negatively as well.

Good luck!

Hey! Yeah, let me know if you want some GSP for old time's sake. It's climbing the side glass and I'll have to trim it soon. Do you still have the tank running in your classroom?

Hey! Yeah, let me know if you want some GSP for old time's sake. It's climbing the side glass and I'll have to trim it soon. Do you still have the tank running in your classroom?

I moved schools this year. Next year I am starting an oceanography/sustainable oceans class and will be starting the tank back up. Right now I just have my 72bow front at home. If you are trimming back and need a place to put it let me know!!

Any luck on slowing / stopping the decay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back