Heater watts per gallon? 400watts not cutting it

Gsxkid

BRS Member
I have around 200 gallons of water in all of my tanks. I have been running 400 watts of heaters for like 24 hours and can't even make 78*. I had one in there knowing that I would need another. I threw in another 200 watt heater totaling 400 and it's been 24 hours and I still can't get to 78. My lights aren't hooked up which I know will generate some heat but I feel like my heaters should be able to maintain it without lights. Am I really going to have to burn 600watts 24 hours a day for this tank. That's ruff

yep thats about what you would need figure it out this way . 1 watt =3,41 BTU's at 200 gallons x 8.5 lbs = 1700 lbs the amount of heat required to raise 1 lb of watter is 1 btu . so at least 500 watts . to raise the water temp 1 degree

Covering the tank if you have glass covers would help also. I have about 90 gallons with a 200w and no issues, covered or not. How are you reading temp? ( thermometer, probe, etc)

It's an in tank bulb type thermometer. I don't think they put mercury in them anymore but looks like that type. It's only like 6 months old. I know it's not the most accurate. Hopefully once I get some lights on it that will help. I have 2 175watt metal halides so I know they will warm it up some. At least then my heaters probably won't run 24 hours a day.

I had 300 watts in my ~100 gallon system. It wasn't enough (was only able to keep the tank at 72 or so), so I had to add a third 150 heater (450 total). But this is in the basement and the ambient temp was in the high 50s - low 60s during the winter.

I think in the flesh makes a good point. Is your sump in the basement? I ran a 400w heater on an approx. 200gal total volume and never had trouble heating it. 78 constant even in the winter in a drafty house. No basement sump though. Also, to note, I was running LEDs so not much heat from lamps if any.

Tank sump and fuge are all in the same room. My house is 72* and the water gets to around 74-75.

Tank sump and fuge are all in the same room. My house is 72* and the water gets to around 74-75.
You should be alright then after lights hooked up. Also you running any pumps yet those will help.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm going to grab another heater. I don't think I want my tank temp to be dependent on my lights. That way I can set one a degree higher than the other 2 so if I can't make up the temp with the lights and 1 heater the others will pick up the slack. Well that's what I'm thinking. Just kinda surprised how many watts it takes to heat this thing. Largest tank I've ever owned prior to this is a 55 gallon

Grabbed another 300w heater today totaling 700w of heat. Should be golden now. I feel like I'm going to just hand my paycheck to national grid though. 350 watts of light
700watts for heat
+-150 watts for return pump
?100 protein skimmer

Grabbed another 300w heater today totaling 700w of heat. Should be golden now. I feel like I'm going to just hand my paycheck to national grid though. 350 watts of light
700watts for heat
+-150 watts for return pump
?100 protein skimmer

Not necessarily. If you are running too little wattage, your heater will stay on forever trying to heat the tank. With the right amount of wattage the heater(s) will cycle on and off as needed and consume less power in the long run.

Keep in mind room temp will affect how much you have to heat the water. I run two 250 watt heater for 180 gallons and do notice they run more when we kick the heat down to 65 instead of the usual 67.

65 haha my wife likes to keep our heat at a cool 72 during the winter. We just park an oil truck out front for the winter lol. Seriously though my house stays 72 until the temps outside reach above that.

Back