Heeelp!!!

dpnshnks

Non-member
Last night I was looking at my tank (sounds like the opening to a very bad novel) and noticed that my Naso had a small white patch on his side. Over the course of 45 minutes, the patch spread, but the fish was behaving normally. I almost posted last night wondering what was up, but I figured maybe he got stung with an anenome. The white patch faded and left behind a hyperpigmented oval spot, maybe 1/2 x 1 cm.

This night, the same thing but on the other side, but this time I saw a circular line within the white patch, almost like something tried to latch on to him. I have a yellow tang and a hippo in there as well, but for the most part they all get along. It's about the right size for a bite from the yellow, but they've been in the same tank for 3 months now! (see attached photo)

Please tell me this isn't some horrible worm infestation or nasty parasite or creepy crustacean. If you are going to tell me one of the above, then please also tell me that there is an easy way to fix the mentioned problem. :p Thanks for the help!!!

Eric

BTW: 1. The first mark was noticed shortly after a water change.
2. Yes, I have gotten new SPS recently from several other members as well as from an LFS. In addition to hitchhiker crabs I have seen on the acro I picked up from the LFS, I recently noticed my first hitchhiker fish (from what I can see, it's turning emerald green).
3. Haven't heard any clicking sounds indicative of a mantis, all other shrimp and inverts in the tank are okay.

Attachments

• Naso.jpg
    Naso.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 223
Nuts, I was hoping I had covered all the basics in the addendum. :p No, I thought of that, but this fish turns dark grey to light grey, not white. He also wouldn't get the mouth mark on him (sorry the pic is so dark, it's really quite more obvious in person). Good idea, though!

eric

I've never had any experience with fish parasites other than ich, so I may not be of much help, but is there any chance you could quarantine him and treat with copper or possibly Interceptor?
I have 2 tangs in my 150 and it took quite a while (about 2 weeks) to get them to co-habitate. My Powder blue actually got impaled by the barb of the Purple tang more than once. So I wonder if maybe your tangs could be duking it out? Hmm, how big is your tank?
Also, could the woulnd be self inflicted? I mean to say, maybe there is some sort of parasite on him and the markings are scratch marks?

Nope, looked like a bite mark. In person it definitely looked oval shaped. Maybe they are fighting, the tank is only a 90, but I figured the Naso was only 3 inches long or so and would be okay for a few years before he outgrew the tank (and I had to buy another one for him...good excuse to get a bigger tank). If it keeps happening, I may have to pull him out and find a good home. :(

Anyway, the first mark is nearly gone and the one from yesterday looks like it will be gone by tomorrow. The wound was very superficial and he is eating and swimming happily, so I'll try and ignore the fact this happened.

Eric

Back