hello newbie question

magirl77

Non-member
Hello,
I have some freshwater fish for a few years and we had saltwater tanks growing up but I've never had my own before.
I do have a question though. My dad never had live rock in his tanks, just fish.
I am hoping to do live rock and some soft corals eventually. Maybe some critters for cleanup stuff. I like the idea of a crab.
Anyway I'm confused about buying live rock. If I get fully cured rock online, when I get it do I jsut put it in my tank with lights and all, or do I need to let it sit in the dark tank to let it cycle? Some sites say there will be no cycle where as others say nothing at all.
Also any recommendations for sites would be great, I was thinking primium aquatics....

It doesn't matter if you cycle a tank/rocks with lights or without lights on.

The differences with live rock will be in the amount of dying material on them. More dying stuff equals a longer cycle. Rock that is "fully cured" and producing no ammonia in a holding tank in California may have nice lively stuff on it, but once it's packed in a box for 2 days, it could arrive at your doorstep with all that stuff dying. That can make for a long cycle. On the other hand, sometimes rock ships very well, and you'll get a fairly short cycle. You just don't know. The only way to really minimize a cycle is with established local rock, like from a local hobbyist's tank. You can also get "cured" rock from a local store, but in some cases that rock will still need to cycle in your tank for a bit, because it's not as mature as rock that's been in a person's tank for a couple years.

The bottom line is that when you get your rock, and put it in your tank, you'll want to sit back, and test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels for a week, and see what's happening. If it was locally housed rock, you might get very little cycle. If it just arrived at the LFS, or if it was shipped to you from Fiji, it might take 2 months to fully cycle, and for nitrite levels to drop to zero.

Personally, I'd recommend going to an LFS, because with a small tank, you'll get to choose the particular size and look of the rocks you want in your tank. If you mail order, you may get a better price (may not), but you'll just have to take the size and shape of rocks they send you.

If you list your general location in your user profile, perhaps people can give you recommendations of good stores that sell Live Rock in your area.

Welcome to the Boston Reefers! :D Good luck with your tank.

Nate

thanks thats really helpful, I thought i read somewehre that you had to have the lights off for the cycle...
anyway I figured I would just keep testing but I wanted to make sure.

I'm i Cambridge, I would like to get some nice live rock, I saw some a few years ago out on rte 9 but it was all green and fuzzy with lots of algae. I'd appreciate recommendations though..

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Check out the BRS sponsor stores as well, give 'em a call and get some pricing. You may also want to check out the Marco rock and seed it with some live rock, it will take a bit longer to fully cycle but the end result would be worth it.

Welcome! Did you check out the BRS Sales Forum? I think that there are people in the club selling live rock, and it's a lot cheaper than at the LFS!

If you buy your rock online there will be significant die off by the time you get it in your tank. You will need to cycle it again.

I would suggest looking for cured rock at the LFS's. That is pretty much plug and play to a point. Just keep an eye on your NH3/4 and NO2.

The only issue I have with buying rock from someone else's established tank is the likely possibility of unwanted hitchikers on the rock. As you get really cool critters you could also inherit nasty ones too. Not to mention Aptasia and other pests.

Used live rock is a double edged sword.
Sure it's nice and cheap.
Problem is it often features nuisance algae or might come from a tank infested with pests like aiptasia or worse.
"Dead" rock (like Marco's rock) has no life at all.
Mail order live rock rarely has hair algae, from what I've seen.
Live rock for sale in local stores? Well, you can look it over before you buy. That's always nice.

Back