Help Identify Parasite <-- lost my tank in the last 48 hours.

???

there is a time of the year when people dont wash their hands? why is that?

+2 ??

That sucks man I`m sorry to hear that about your tank. happened to my first tank around the same time as that 7 month thou it was ick.

2 YT in a 55?
and thats also a lot of fish for a 55 g that is only 7 month old.

but from having that many deaths that quickly I would suspect you got something in your tank on accident.

Wish the best of luck to you.

-Owen

FWIW I lost 4 fish within 48 when my tank got ICH

Its definitely possible that It came from your last fish and just has not been present until now

Usually ick progresses much more slowly than that though. With ick, while it may go unnoticed for long periods of time, it will usually be quite visable before it starts actually killing fish.

Rapid, multiple fish deaths are more likely to be caused by brook or velvet, but IIRC neither of those are known to go unnoticed/lie dormant for weeks.

Well, you might have pin pointed it.

I put my hands in the tank without washing them. one time, just to pick up a fallen coral. (I wash my hand 99% of the time)

And now that i think about it, I had just put on 100% deet bug stuff because i was outside.

So, everything that happened could have been poisoning from the deet?

I have a cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs, and they are usually effected by toxins and they are fine?

Last edited:
Well,that sucks,sorry this happened.
But,hopefully you know the answer now.
I just recently lost every single sps,some lps and 1/2 my softies from a heater busting and poisoning the water.
So I'm in start over mode as well.
Make sure to do plenty of water changes and run carbon and poly pads.My tank was a mess but I managed to save some coral and anemones.
Thankfully the fish all made it.

Back