Help planning my restart

absolutecarrot

Non-member
As you might know I am restarting my 20 cube. I only have 2 fish currently an clownfish and wrasse. Also only a few corals. I’m planning on trading in the fish to love the reef. I might give the corals to a friend until my new tank is up or the store. I am buying new rocks to do a much better aqua scape and also new sand. I would love some advice on how to restart a tank or tips from anyone who has restarted a tank before. Thanks

My best advice would be to create your aquascape ASAP and then sink it in a barrel of saltwater. Add as many sources of bacteria and the odd bit of fish food. Then let her go while all the rest comes together. The longer the better. I also advocate some ocean live rock a couple weeks before you start the tank.

My best advice would be to create your aquascape ASAP and then sink it in a barrel of saltwater. Add as many sources of bacteria and the odd bit of fish food. Then let her go while all the rest comes together. The longer the better. I also advocate some ocean live rock a couple weeks before you start the tank.
Thanks, yea I’m definitely going to get the rock cycling as soon as possible in a bucket.

Get some KP Aquatics rock shipped in water, let the tank establish itself with that before you introduce fish. Nothing better than getting sustainably harvested rock right from the ocean with minimal to no die off........ take the first month to pull off all the unwanted critters if any

^ that is exactly what I was going to suggest. KP rock is amazing stuff. I used it in my build and honestly believe that the diversity made my tank much healthier. You can even just set it up in the tank if you plan to remove all the livestock. It will be easy to cycle. I would add some biospira to help, but really just need to keep ammonia in check if you want to keep the life that comes on the rock.

^ that is exactly what I was going to suggest. KP rock is amazing stuff. I used it in my build and honestly believe that the diversity made my tank much healthier. You can even just set it up in the tank if you plan to remove all the livestock. It will be easy to cycle. I would add some biospira to help, but really just need to keep ammonia in check if you want to keep the life that comes on the rock.

kp aquatics live rock is amazing I love the one I got from them.

kp aquatics live rock is amazing I love the one I got from them.
I look into the live rock, it’s just pretty expensive so i would probably only get a couple pieces

Honestly it’s your best investment outside a good skimmer. Eat some spam, bite the bullet. You’ll be happy.

I swapped out all the rock in my tank with 125# of it and I’m so happy I did

Honestly it’s your best investment outside a good skimmer. Eat some spam, bite the bullet. You’ll be happy.

I swapped out all the rock in my tank with 125# of it and I’m so happy I did
Yea , I’ll definitely look into live rock, how much does it cost to ship in water

Alternately, to save money and still pick up that diversity, get small bits of good rock from other hobbyists on here and around you. I have never purchased live rock from a supplier, just other hobbyists. It is amazing how much is lying around. Maybe post in the WTB section.

Alternately, to save money and still pick up that diversity, get small bits of good rock from other hobbyists on here and around you. I have never purchased live rock from a supplier, just other hobbyists. It is amazing how much is lying around. Maybe post in the WTB section.
Thanks great idea

Back