FS Help pricing higher end reef tank.

Honestly these sales tend to be extremely challenging. Most people who are interested enough in the hobby to be willing to drop many thousands of dollars on a system enjoy building their systems from scratch, or have been doing this for long enough that they don't need all components when doing a tank upgrade. Nobody needs a second rodi when they have their first (etc.).

It's pretty common to see folks who spent a whole lot of money on a setup try to justify their price buy listing the current market rate for every single piece of new equipment, and then saying "I paid $15,000, you only pay $10,000." ...which is probably depressing for them and sets delusional pricing expectations.

Almost all such threads end in the person parting out a system, or quietly accepting a much lower offer over DM.

There is also the question of whether or not you are willing to just keep and store things that don't sell. Are you leaving the hobby, or taking a break? My guess is that for equipment that's in decent shape, you will get 40-50% less than retail. If you think you will be back in a few years, you may want to keep some stuff. We all have boxes of reef stuff in our basement for that future build. In my case it's a large and elaborate calcium reactor set up and protein skimmer that I didn't want to buy a second time.

So my vote is: there is no harm in trying for a week or two to sell the whole system, but you will sell more of the system for probably more money if you part out and let people buy what they actually need.

The last time I tried selling a tank/stand/sump on a forum (not this one) it went unsold. And I dropped the price like crazy.

Happy to help if needed.

I’d start by making a spreadsheet of everything included including description/model, condition, age, retail price etc. Most people want to know what’s included plus you can also gauge interest on individual pieces.

From there you can figure what the systems retail price is. For new in box equipment, probably 80% retail, couple years old 50% retail, old <25% retail etc. if you want to do a single package you’ll likely need to discount even further from individual price as the market for $10k+ systems is rather small, and anybody spending that kind of money may be more inclined to build their own vs. buy used unless its a really good deal (ex. $10k quality gear for $3k).

Livestock’s is probably harder to price, and even harder to get value for in a package as your aquascape/coral style needs to match the buyers if you want fair value.

To get the most money, I’d try to make a few package deals. Sell off livestock separately, any “extra” type specialty equipment that many people may not care, then lastly a more basic system. I value used systems based on the equipment I want, not everything included so including some $500 radio wave spectrographic microscope doesn’t make me want to pay any more - maybe +$50 in hopes I can sell it off with not too much hassle for a few dollars more, but that’s about it. You’re much better trying to sell off specially gear like this separately to people who value it closer to market.

Last edited:
Happy to help if needed.

I’d start by making a spreadsheet of everything included including description/model, condition, age, retail price etc. Most people want to know what’s included plus you can also gauge interest on individual pieces.

From there you can figure what the systems retail price is. For new in box equipment, probably 80% retail, couple years old 50% retail, old <25% retail etc. if you want to do a single package you’ll likely need to discount even further from individual price as the market for $10k+ systems is rather small, and anybody spending that kind of money may be more inclined to build their own vs. buy used unless its a really good deal (ex. $10k quality gear for $3k).

Livestock’s is probably harder to price, and even harder to get value for in a package as your aquascape/coral style needs to match the buyers if you want fair value.

To get the most money, I’d try to make a few package deals. Sell off livestock separately, any “extra” type specialty equipment that many people may not care, then lastly a more basic system. I value used systems based on the equipment I want, not everything included so including some $500 radio wave spectrographic microscope doesn’t make me want to pay any more - maybe +$50 in hopes I can sell it off with not too much hassle for a few dollars more, but that’s about it. You’re much better trying to sell off specially gear like this separately to people who value it closer to market.
That would be great! I mean I have an excel spreadsheet listing most of what I have.

Can’t figure out how to attach it

Attachments

• 9F59FAD6-BFFC-4FE5-B6D7-956A283CBBF2.png
    9F59FAD6-BFFC-4FE5-B6D7-956A283CBBF2.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 136
looks like you have a really nice collection of clams! I hope you post some pics with your eventual sale thread.

It depends on how fast you want to sell the whole system.
If you have a dead line to sell the whole system, it is better to sell to a local fish store, which also offer to remove the whole system from your house without much efforts on your own. In this case, they will price the system for you.

If you are looking to sell to individual hobbyists, the best way is to sell the coral first, then the live rocks, then the fish, followed by equipment. If you want to go this route, take some clear photo of the coral, clams, fish and post here. You can google the price of similar items and ask accordingly. For hardwares, depending on the age, used equipment is normally about 50% of what you paid if the items is about a year old or so, lower with older equipment, consider donate odd balls or outdated equipment to the club for auction. For tank and stand, you will take the largest hit.

Hope this helps.

Start populating the retail prices into your spreadsheet and a separate column for x% retail. For 1.5-2yr equipment, I’d probably start at 60% retail then drop a bit further for package deals, and/or if limited interest (unfortunately even great deals can take a while to sell if nobody is in the market at that time).

For livestock, I’d better quantify size - frag colony etc. Zoas are typically $2-$10 pp depending on rarity, maybe $50 or so pp for the exospheres. Most of your zoas look like mid to higer end so I’d expect around $10pp for frags to maybe half that or less pp for a colony.

As Dong mentioned, if you’re in a hurry to sell you’re likely best off selling at least livestock to a LFS (or forum sponsor) who can sell it off over time, frag it etc.

I’d group a package for the tank, stand, sump, skimmer, lights, return pump, maybe reactor etc. and plan to sell the other equipment individually. I think you’ll get alot better price for equipment like the Neptune separately vs in a package deal unless you’re in a hurry and ok with a firesale.

If you can get me an excel I can help more though can’t do too much with a PDF.

I don't have much to add to the great info in this thread, but if you're willing to part with one of those 3" croceas, I'd be happy to take one. Otherwise, best of luck with the sale.

Back