Help with a selling price???

bretn77

Non-member
Could I get your advice on how much you think I could advertise my tank and set up on here, and craigslist for sale?
I have;
A cycled reef without any green algae.
Tons of coraline algae.
80 lbs of live rock.
Several leather corals, soft corals, and other stony corals, all in small growth stages, but all very healthy.
72 gallon bowfront, black.
Matching stand.
Brand new Wave Point, 4 bulb, 48" T5 lighting.
2- Koralia #3 powerheads.
20 gallon sump
Protein skimmer
Return pump
2 - heaters
1 gallon pails of: calcium, magnesium, alkalinity.
and lots of various other reef supplies.
AND a brand new RODS 5 stage water purification system.

Not quite sure that I want to break it down, but wanted to know what you though about what type of price I could get for all that.
Thanks for your help!

well, you can only get a fraction back of what you originally paid....

.....and generic terms like 'return pump' and 'protein skimmer' make it hard to gauge as well. Is the pump internal or external? a $50 mag pump, or a $300 reeflo? Is the protein skimmer a coralife basic, or a bubble king, which costs as much as a mortgage payment?

Also, without knowing what corals are there, it is REALLY hard to know.

That being said...STAY IN THE HOBBY! :D

ok, being realistic, the average price on used items is now at 33% of current retail price. it used to be at 50% before the slight economic downturn we are in now.

ok, being realistic, the average price on used items is now at 33% of current retail price. it used to be at 50% before the slight economic downturn we are in now.

+1 here. 50% is probably the highest you could ever get fort used equipment, but nowadays 33% is fair and should price your stuff to sell.

You will sell stuff faster if you part it out but it could leave you with several items unsold in the log run.

What I see allot of folks doing is selling it in waves:

Liverock
Corals
Fish and other live stock
Sand
Pumps, skimmer ect
Tank stand

That way they can part it out and not end up with the tank sold but not the livestock.

+1 here. 50% is probably the highest you could ever get fort used equipment, but nowadays 33% is fair and should price your stuff to sell.

You will sell stuff faster if you part it out but it could leave you with several items unsold in the log run.

What I see allot of folks doing is selling it in waves:

Liverock
Corals
Fish and other live stock
Sand
Pumps, skimmer ect
Tank stand

That way they can part it out and not end up with the tank sold but not the livestock.

+1 i think you probably get more of your money back if you part it out due to the fact that people don't want to have buy the whole thing and then deal with selling the stuff they don't need themselves.

I would be interested in everything... if you had details on skimmer brand and sump along with a photo. I have a 47 gallon bow front and want to upgrade.. and keep my existing system.

Based on the equipment in the craigslist add, I would say around $1100-1300. I would ask for more outside the club as people might not have as easy access to this stuff.

I'd say probably more like $800-1000. I could buy all that stuff new for about $2000-$2500. The lighting and the skimmer are not top of the line stuff. I spent over $1300 on my set that I'm selling and I'm asking a firm $500.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?p=821407#post821407

Yup, my estmate was starting at about 50% value and then going down from there if it doesn't sell. I agree, for $2500 you could buy the entire set up new if you know where to shop.

Im going to say what everyone else is thinking...2500 asking price?!?! are you delusional?

Truthfully im not trying to be mean but I see too many CL listings asking rediculous amounts of money for average used setups. Sometimes the truth hurts. There is just no way that you can get even 50% of what everything cost you. Fact is that people are cheap and want the best for less. Ill give you an example, I had a ETSS reef devil skimmer that cost 250 brand new with upgraded pump and collection cup. After sitting on the boards for over 4mths I finally earned a whopping 100(shipped) for a piece of equipment that new would have cost 325 plus shipping new. If you breakup the listing into livestock and equipment you'll be much better off however its alot more work. Honestly if you sell it as a "LOT" , Id be surprised if you recooped 700.00- and thats generous

Please dont take it the wrong way, just trying to be honest and tell you straight up with you.

Thanks Steve for your ruthless honesty. I've only had one bite on a my $500 system that cost me over $1300 and I'm waiting to hear back from them. In this economy you should settle for a third of it's retail cost if it's in good working order. I'm looking for 35% and getting very little bites but my system is a basically an extra large nano with a full size filter/fuge/sump so it's appeal may be limited.

Back