Help With Protein Skimmer

Doug H

BRS Member
Hi All,

I'm running a Red Sea Reefer DC 300 Protein Skimmer on my Red Sea Reefer 350 (93 Gal)? I have been running it on 35% power at adjustment of 20% ( part of the auto mode). It was running fine for 3-4 months. It started over skimming and bubbling over 3 days ago without warning. I have turned the power all the way down to 5%, adjustment to 5%, 20% water change, full cleaning, and changed the volume of water coming into the skimmer without any improvement.

The skimmer is in the middle of the sump after a ReefMat and UV filter.

The fish, coral, and anemones in my tank are all doing well. I have mod to high bio load. I have not added any fish in 2 months, and I have not added coral in a few weeks. No new additives or food.

Thanks,

Doug

I'd start by checking the air inlet for fouling. Pour some water into the air inlet hose to do a quick flush. If that makes any difference, then definitely disassemble and clean the pump.

Have you put a new roll on your filter roller by any chance or advanced a larger than normal amount on the filter roller.I have had the chemicals in the roller mat material cause serious skimmer overflow to the point I gave up with my filter roller

Back