Hermit crabs died why?

super cook

Non-member
I came home today to find about 8 dead hermits there are some still walking around I don't know what happened there are most likley more bodies around all water levels good, havent done any changes lately, last water change about 10 days ago, added some frags and macro yesterday but they are all in good shape, have clam, fine, other crabs fine. Peppermint shrimp look good fish ok whats up help .Sue

I'm going to guess that maybe they just molted? Hermit crab molts are pretty hard to distinguish from dead bodies, but I think if everything else is doing well in your tank, I'd suspect the "bodies" are actually just the discarded shells of your growing crabs.

Nate

Nate they were still in there shells lying on ther backs I usually feed the tank with my daughter she likes to watch them dance but they werent dancing tonight.

Oh. I see. That doesn't sound too good does it. :(

Ok, I'll revise my answer. Your crabs are democrats and they committed mass suicide by licking the zoanthids.

Sorry I don't have any better guesses. Wierd that they'd die while all your other (arguably more delicate) inverts are still fine.

Nate

I lost alot of crabs in particular when red slim remover was put in my tank.I know You said you hadn't done anything recently.just reaching.
Bill P.

Willray, its just the hermits about 17 now, porsalin and emrelds seem fine, running carbon and making rodi to do a 50% water change tonight have a few left so far

Sue,

have you fragged any corals recently?
dosed any additives?
where is PH and ALK? and Salinity?

-B-

oh yeah, what type of hermits?

Back