Hermit Crabs eating Coral

hurdbird

BRS Member
I bought 3 large red hermit crabs from Petco when I was first starting my tank. They were clearly labeled as reef safe so I figured I was all set. I added a couple coral frags over the weekend and woke up this morning to my monster hermit crab chowing down on my zoas and acan. To say the least, I was a little upset. I caught the three hermit crabs and they are sitting in my timeout net until I can dipose of them when I get home. Now I am reading that alot of the large hermit crabs are not reef safe and only small ones should be kept in a reef. Is this true? What kind of hermits are the best ones for a reef that stay small and still provide adequate cleaning? Thanks.

Sean

i dont think theres really any right answer, if theres no food for them, any type, i dont see why they wouldnt make a snack out of a coral. i have the blue legs and the black/white legs, both small and havent seen a problem

"What kind of hermits are the best ones for a reef that stay small and still provide adequate cleaning?"

IMO,none.
I keep 0 for crabs in my tank.At best all they do is kill your snails and there's always the chance they'll eat your zoas.
I've had good luck with emerald crabs for valonia.But,to keep crabs long term in a tank is not something I'll do again.

I think I have had my last crabs then or maybe I'll give some really small crabs a shot or possibly an emerald crab. I spot fed my crabs everyday at feeding time. There is no possible way they were still hungry. My crabs are extremely big though. That could be the problem right there. Just need to get some dwarfs or go with nothing.

Sean

I keep a few scarlet legs in my 150, but not many or they cause trouble.

When you say big how big are we talking here? It almost sounds like you got the larger land-based ones?

"It almost sounds like you got the larger land-based ones?"

True,did they come with fancy painted shells?Maybe sponge Bob on one?:p

I go to Petco alot :eek: and I did bought some scarlet hermit crabs when they were on sale. Petco carries two types of red hermit crabs. Small one which is scarlet hermit crab and is reef safe. The large one which is BIG and HAIRY, I don't think it is reef safe.

I got the big and hairy ones haha. No I did not buy land hermits. C'mon guys. When I say big I have two that drag around 4'' plus shells and extended are probably close to 4''. Biggest I've ever seen. I had them because originally I planned on doing a FOWLR but quickly changed my mind. I might try putting 2 dwarf crabs back in eventually or just get more snails and go without. Currently, I have three large red hermits and then 1 halloween. The halloween is the only one that doesnt cause trouble.

Sean

those are not reef safe. i have one that resides in a 5 gal punishment tank right now...... it killed my damsel for a snack. if you see corals, fish..... or your cat go missing, then you know it is hungry. you might be able to limit its destruction with direct feeding, but in my experience when you feed him a bunch, they get lazy and just sit there doing nothing. also, there are many different types of them that are not shown if you search Petrochirus diogenes yours may look different, but they all have pretty much the same behavior-destructive-

here is some info on them taken from reefcleaners org
The Giant Marine Hermit, (Petrochirus diogenes) is a long lived hermit crab that will entertain younger hobbyists. It is hardy, long lived, and while it has large claws when it reaches adulthood, it is unlikely to harm you if you get pinched. They should be fed larger meaty foods like chopped cocktail shrimp size. You should get a series of shells for them to later occupy. (Our "Empty Shells" product is too small)

Only for the very largest of reefs (Public Aquarium) with very stable structure, touch tanks, or------ large fish only with live rock tanks. (FOWLRs)-------- They also make for good refugium inhabitants, if it is a large refugium. Not because of their cleaning ability. They are not cleaners. Only for the value in the joy you get from keeping this cool critter.

I had one of these guys and in 2 days he destroyed a feather duster and was going after my nem! I brought it tho petco. My wife bought him because my son said he looked like Mr. Krabs from spongebob!

Glad to see Petco selling things that are inappropriate for the majority of hobbyists. Heh. It's odd because I don't recall seeing these guys at an LFS or even at any online retailer. I guess it's like the sea apple. There's a reason you don't see them very often.

now that i have mine in a tank by itself it is really cool. it jumps and clings to food like a pitbull. it also sifts sand all day.
it is really really fast.
reef safe ....no. species tank cool though.
cmon people, these cool animals are only $8.00 Its not the animals fault it isnt fitting in your plan. if you have a backup tank for evil critters/sump/fuge like i do, you never have to give up your impulse buy. when i buy something, if it does not work out well in 1 of my 4 small tanks then i have done something wrong! 2x29g +10g + 5G

ps, where could i find a sea apple. lol

Back