Hex Tank Stand

ReeferMedic

Non-member
I just acquired a hex tank for my carpet anemone and tomatoes. but the stand is not in good shape and is partical board. Also, I want to make it about 8" higher and put a canopy over it. Anyone have experience or ideas for a stand on a hex tank? I could probably try and copy the original stand, but was wondering if anyone here has ever built one.

Last edited:
Never built one medic.
But if you need something layed out let me know.
Sometimes it helps to visualize.
Not sure if the pic will show....:confused:

How big is the tank Don? I'd probably dispense with the 2x4 frame, and make it out of 3/4" plywood. Make 5 vertical panels, and cut the edges to 30 degrees, and screw or biscuit the edges together all the way around. The sixth side could be made up of a 6" tall top piece and bottom piece, leaving the remaining space open for a door. Then cut a top and bottom hexagon to fit inside the column you've made. Screw those in place with strips of plywood under them to provide support. Put trim around the outside top and bottom.

On a stand of this shape I think any sort of frame is unnecessary, and would really make the interior space useless.

True that could do away with uprights.But I would definitely build the end hex's out of 2x4 or 2x3.
Screwing into the edge of plywood doesn't hold very good.But the biscuit idea held with some stong glue would work.But not everyone has biscuit cutter.Either way a table saw will be you friend here.Although you could get away with a skil saw.

No kidding,bonz.
But depending on the size of the panels it might not take too much leaning over the sheets of plywood.But a table saw and Miter box would be ideal.Like Nate said,30 deg. cuts all around.
BTW.........I'm just bored and have some free time today.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, some good input here. The diagram helps in a big way also. I don't think I have any of those fancy programs in my pc. I'm one of those guys that has to see it. Although, I wouldn't need the top piece. I might even have enough 3/4" ply hanging around to do this without having to buy any.;)

I think the top piece is important for rigidity Don. It's not load bearing, as I assume the tank rim would sit on the plywood sides, so I'd skip the frame that BOB drew below the hex pieces, just to save time. I'd just use some short pieces of 3/4x3/4" plywood and screw/glue them to the sides, and to the hex piece. The way Bob drew it would be more elegant and a bit stronger, but it would be difficult, IMO to build 2 hexagonal frames which fit perfectly inside eachother. Not much tolerance there.

Last edited:
I have a 65 hex tank & stand the diagrams that they sent you look right , I can take a picture of my stand for you if you like

Back