Hi Everyone Bill from Boston here,

ATI master test kit isn’t that great. Dip sticks are also unreliable. There are a dozen options, Red Sea I hear is good, Salifert has great budget kits. I like the kH and the nitrate is pretty good once you get the hang of it.
Great deal on Amazon right now for Reef Crystals $42 for a giant box. Budget salt is fine. I use Reef Crystals and works great.
A lot of people use the e reef crystals when you switched over how did you do it like hAlf aquarium salt half crystals? Or just changed to the crystals comepletely?

Last edited:
Thanks any advice I’ll take ,thank you .I’m studying as much as possible about growing corals I got about 5 but they are not soft and I don’t think they’ve grown since I got them. I gotta put my names on the par meter borrow and see what lighting is best and where!

Thanks any advice I’ll take ,thank you .I’m studying as much as possible about growing corals I got about 5 but they are not soft and I don’t think they’ve grown since I got them. I gotta put my names on the par meter borrow and see what lighting is best and where!
Don't worry about growth at first - just as long as they are alive and look healthy.

I can't claim to be a whiz with corals, but when I speak to fellow enthusiasts about what salt mix they use I was stunned to find out how many people have better luck with regular I/O and don't like the reef crystals variety. Take a look at The Coral Farm's website and know you're looking at regular Instant Ocean, not Reef Crystals. Seems hard to justify higher spending for "premium" mixes after Tropic Marin was found guilty of "Reef-a-cide". If you need any Chaeto when you get your sump installed let me know. I'm in Foxboro and close to Sharon T station. I could meet you at T station and hook you up, or give you a lift to my LFS "All Things Aquatic" so you can see the place and then get you back to T station.....either way..
You mention a filter with UV and I assume you mean a canister type. I don't think this does much for your tank. The UV flows too fast for removal of the stuff that leads to parasites and is more aimed at keeping freshwater tanks from going green. Salt doesn't need this in my opinion.
Forget the UV for now and save for a good one you can trust (meaning not a "Green killing machine")
Best of luck with your sump!....its the way to go over HOB stuff.

Don't worry about growth at first - just as long as they are alive and look healthy.
my friend just dropped off my sump and it’s awesome I gotta get a protein skimmer and bio balls and socks
I can't claim to be a whiz with corals, but when I speak to fellow enthusiasts about what salt mix they use I was stunned to find out how many people have better luck with regular I/O and don't like the reef crystals variety. Take a look at The Coral Farm's website and know you're looking at regular Instant Ocean, not Reef Crystals. Seems hard to justify higher spending for "premium" mixes after Tropic Marin was found guilty of "Reef-a-cide". If you need any Chaeto when you get your sump installed let me know. I'm in Foxboro and close to Sharon T station. I could meet you at T station and hook you up, or give you a lift to my LFS "All Things Aquatic" so you can see the place and then get you back to T station.....either way..
You mention a filter with UV and I assume you mean a canister type. I don't think this does much for your tank. The UV flows too fast for removal of the stuff that leads to parasites and is more aimed at keeping freshwater tanks from going green. Salt doesn't need this in my opinion.
Forget the UV for now and save for a good one you can trust (meaning not a "Green killing machine")
thanks Cooper I’ll take you up on that offer but I’ll wait till I get my check in case I see something I want at All Things Aquatic

i Got a nice sump from a friend on here and another friend on here gave me a nice protein skimmer.I’m gonna work on the sump first I gotta get a out flow to flow into the display case and I need a good pump and the tubing to put the flow water from the sump to the display tank .I gotta wait till the beginning of the month to buy all that till i get my check.I’m trying to find a kit that has it all the tubes the overflow and pump .I change my water about 10 percent of my water every two weeks but since my protein skimmer went I’m gonna change it till 20 percent of water every two weeks because the protein skimmer he gave me is one you put inside the sump . Ive had my water at 32 for the last four years I’m gonna lower down to between 26 and 30 after reading a book and it said that was probably the best salinity level.What do you keep your salinity level and alkalinity and calcium levels ?

i Got a nice sump from a friend on here and another friend on here gave me a nice protein skimmer.I’m gonna work on the sump first I gotta get a out flow to flow into the display case and I need a good pump and the tubing to put the flow water from the sump to the display tank .I gotta wait till the beginning of the month to buy all that till i get my check.I’m trying to find a kit that has it all the tubes the overflow and pump .I change my water about 10 percent of my water every two weeks but since my protein skimmer went I’m gonna change it till 20 percent of water every two weeks because the protein skimmer he gave me is one you put inside the sump . Ive had my water at 32 for the last four years I’m gonna lower down to between 26 and 30 after reading a book and it said that was probably the best salinity level.What do you keep your salinity level and alkalinity and calcium levels ?
I’ve always had fish since I was 6 mostly cichlids and a fresh water fish .When I got sick I couldn’t walk and really got into reading about saltwater but since I joined this BRS I got so much help now if I have a problem I have 10 people helping me by good people including yourself.I wish I joined when I setup my first saltwater tank everyday I find out more and more.I just wanted to say Thank You Everyone !
Bill

Thanks again my friend

Back