High alk level burning tips of sps colonys?

sutton6989

BRS Member
hey guys i have a bunch of sps colonys and ive been using RSCP salt since day one but im noticing the tips of my sps burning... the alk runs at around 11.5-12 DKH.. and i read an article on another forum about this happening with high alk in tanks? does anyone have any input to this, first hand experience? im about to switch to the regular red sea salt solely because of this.

Are you sure that they are burning and not growing..?
A pic would b best, usally a whits tip if that's what your refeering to means growth...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Ya thats what im not sure of.. growth or burning. Ill get a pic up tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Personally I would never run my alk that high. Ive done so in the past and always found better results keeping it around 7.5-8. JM2C

Thats what I keep hearing and the reason for switching to a lower alk salt mix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

That Alk is definitely a bit high. I would never go past 10 personally. But, this also boils down to your nutrients. In a lower nutrient tank, high alk (over 8.5 even) will burn tips more than a high nutrient tank. You may need to back down 7.5-8 like Steve stated if your tank is low in nutrients.

My alk is usually in between 8-10dKh. I did lose a couple of Red Digi frags/mini colony and a Montipora Confusa frag when I accidently overdosed the tank and my PH and Alk shot up.

just fyi

Higor

Back