HOB Skimmer Overflow Question

jrushlow

Non-member
I'm planning to temporarily downsize to a Nuvo 16 from my Red Sea Max 250 and have a question about skimmers.

I'm thinking of going with a Remora Nano HOB skimmer since I'm going to have several fish in that small tank. I'm used to the internal skimmer on my RS250; when that overflows because of poor adjustment, etc it just drains back into the sump area. With a HOB skimmer I assume it doesn't leak onto the floor when incorrectly adjusted, but I haven't been able to find any information confirming that.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

When I had my HOB Skimmer I would have to be careful whenever I made any adjustments to it because it would and did on occasion overflow down the back and onto the floor. When you don't have a sump the HOB Skimmers are very convenient and work well, but I don't know if that risk of leaking down the back can be 100% avoided.

I think the Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer will fit in one of the back chambers of a Nuvo 16 though. If you check out the guys at InTank, they have a bunch of different products and recommendations for AIO tanks of all sizes.

If you purchase the newer Remora models, they have a skimmate drain in the side you can plumb to a container to handle overflows or forgetting to empty the skimmer. I currently have mine plugged and have yet to have an issue. Other folks run the drain line down to a small bottle or other container that can be emptied or disposed of (like a small water bottle).

Back