How Big is Too Big

Flame Angel

Past BRS Pres/2016MOD
Staff member
Okay, I'm looking for an opinion and a sanity check here.

I went from a going to purchase a 180RR free standing to gutting my kitchen table area and installing the tank against the wall with a false wall in front of the tank to make the tank look build it.

I have an area that is 7' long by 40" deep. I am thinking of going with a 265gal RR 84"x24"x30" and I'm trying to talk myself out of it.

I feel it will be too big and too costly to maintain. Plus it would be better to keep 6" clearance around a 180 to help with ventilation. Plus I would save on lighting due to the 6" shorter height. Never mind all the incidentals.

I am trying to go for Fish/with soft corals look. I also want to build a small removable bar top in front of the tank to sit and have meals.

I have been told for the past 30 years that bigger is better, but there has to be a cut off where it becomes non manageable.

I am not worried about the weight as the tank would be located very close to the center beam in the basement on the first floor and I would use the three walls to carry the weight and the joist run perpendicular to the tank. (if that just made sense).

I would go through the floor and locate all the equipment in the cellar about 15' away from the tank set up on a constructed work table for easy access.
Guess I could put some stuff under the tank as it will be 42" off the floor.

I would prefer to go into the load bearing wall and see more of the tank, but I do not want to get into that issue.

Bring me back to the reality of a 180. Let the comments fly.

I think 265 should be fine. I know of a few members who have 300+ gallons, and they seem to be doing fine.

You came here to be talked out of the bigger tank ?
That would be better to ask a nano forum.

I think the 180 is the perfect tank, though if the wallet can handle the bigger tank then go for it.

if you look at the cost, the stock-like tank is better for your wallet.

it is also better with lighting...since a 7' tank is going to be harder to space lights on.

however, if you can swing it, and the 7' tank meets your desires, it's just not that big of a deal.

FWIW, even the taller tank will be fine with t-5 if you're going with softies.

My toadstool grew for a year under NORMAL output fluorescent lights.

yea if your planning softies get 2 36" t5 fixtures the axtra 6" wont make a difference bigger is better :) youll love it

yea if your planning softies get 2 36" t5 fixtures the axtra 6" wont make a difference bigger is better :) youll love it

Sorry, I can only think of the "Office here"

I hope I will love it and not regret it.

You are only adding 80 gallons more of water, and 6 inches of length. I bet the cost difference is not that much.

and hey, you could get a few more fish.

I have a 300 gallon and it seems to be pretty stable. Of course when I do a water change it costs me like $100. lol but the bigger the more stable I think.

If you have 40" of depth, I would go 84x36x30. Can still use 3 metal halides to light the tank no problem if you use full size luminarc reflectors. After having a tank with a 36" depth, I will never go back if I don't have to.

This may be so, but I'm also trying to keep the cost of operation in mind here in regards to electricity and water changes.

Using just T5's could save some $$$ in the long run electricity-wise... Water changes you're only going from 15-20 gallons a change in the 180 to 20-25 in the 265 give or take so I don't think you'd save too much money water change wise...

I say get the bigger one but that's just me dreaming :D

I also agree that a wider tank would look best. My dream tank hopefully will be at least 3 feet wide :D

I'd go the the extra width. Before we upgraded I was looking at a 24" wide tank but then picked up an 30"x30" tank. After owning this tank I think 30" is going to be the minimal width for our future tanks.

Design your setup on paper down to every piece of equipment. That way you can figure out what the electric will be.

IMO Salt for water changes, CA reactor media and CO2, MG supplement ect are not to bad for upkeep.

It's all the fish and corals it will take to fill it up to make you happy that is $$$$$$$

My plan started as a 29g cube. In a matter of a few weeks that ballooned.

Picked up a 125 6' long today. I told her it was big, but when she saw it.. I think it sort of blew her away. I haven't quite figured out if it is 'good' or 'bad'. She wanted a fish tank. Well.. she got one! My 5 year old son is ecstatic. It came in the door and he screamed 'set it up now! now!'.

It won't be installed for a number of months yet. Need to finish/beautify the stand and build a hood, etc.

Now I wonder if I should have done a 150.. heck it is only some 6" wider. LOL. Then comes 180.. then comes 200+. I am VERY content with the 125 long I settled on. Like others say. Do it right, the way you want it, the first time.

Back