How do you capture a yellow tang in a 180 gal reef?

Glenn E King

Non-member
I have an established 180 gal reef. One of the residents is a yellow tang, he's been in there for three years. The presence of the yellow tang limits what other fish can be added to the tank.
Any suggestions on how to get the Yellow Tank out?
Has anyone ever been successful in getting a yellow tang out of an established reef?

Trap or else you are lookn at removing most of the rock. Or use a clear container up against the front glass and use your hand to herd him into the container, maybe you will get lucky and he will swim right in it the first try before he catches on. They aint dumb

I feel the need to plug the acclimate once again: trap, transport, acclimate, release all with one container. Your fish will thank you. Well not out loud, but they'll be thinking it.

I second the acclimate, it works great and easy to use. Just slowly work up to catching him, try hand feeding him. Mine comes right up to my hand when I feed him.

Good luck

No I have not tried a six inch fish. Maybe you need the large acclimate? I have on occasion put some random food inside. Although many times if I just leave it there, the fish get curious and start investigating and then when they are inside I can let go of the string so the door closes. On the plus side the acclimate does many things, so you can keep using it as opposed to just a fish trap that only does one thing and then you set it on the shelf.

If you still havn't captured him here is a trick that has worked for me in the past. Several hours after the lights normally turn off switch them back on. The fish will come out, but will be somewhat dazed/still asleep. If you are lucky and move slow with the net you may be able to scoop him up rather easily. Simple but effective...sometimes. Good luck.

i had good luck with "the trap" , place it in the tank for a few days and only feed the tank with food in the trap. fish will go inside to eat and get used to it and then you spring " the trap" good luck

Back