How Do.....

Jim Tansey

BRS Member
How do clams make little clams?? I moved my 3-4 inch clam to a new spot and found a little clam under it, its only about 1/2 inch long, white inside and out, seems to be alive. It may not have come from my clam but was right under it.

Jim

Well, when a mommy and a daddy clam love each other they have a special kind of hug...

I don't think the can reproduce in our tanks. it's an egg sperm thing, right? I've seen pics of the stuff being released.

Yes, It is a sperm n' egg thing.

Cap... Knopp's book on Giant Clams is an EXCELLENT read and one you'll want to keep in your library forever. It has some excellent information and images in there.

Chances are, you got some kind of a muscle, oyster or boring clam as a hitch hiker in your system. They are, for the most part, harmless. The boring clams can and do bore into large stony corals, but most often stay in the live rock.

Got a piccy?

Dave

Jango and I have seen it first hand, I have a gigas clam that seems to release it's sperm about once a month. Well maybe more, but I always see it happen at least once a month.

Back