how ill-advised is 10 wpg?

ERIC

Non-member
just got a new 75 bow f. and have been seduced by this 48" 2x250 hqi halide w 4x60w cf unit that ive seen on ebay. its got 2 powerful fans and an external, elec. ballast. ive hit the "wall" w my existing 192 watts o' power compct over my 46 bow and am looking 4 sum action on my new set up. am i gonna screw myself w high temps tho? is this light too much for softies and fish (flame ang, false perc, royal gramma, foxrabbit And pink square anthia. . i kno, i kno thats why i ran out and bought a 75g). :confused: Also despite great feedback reviews for the 760 watt unit, @ $360 NEW for this kind of light unit im a bit weary of this thing. awful temptation tho help me boston reefers!! i want to put my coral on INVERT STEROIDS!!! ). . . .in the responsible way. . . of course)

what brand is it? jebo brand has a pretty bad reputation. i had a CF from them many years ago and the wire connections in them are crappy. they would short out and you would have to solder it to fix it. if you are just keeping softies, look into some t5s! if you want a nice set of ts look into tek lights or aquatinics. both have individual reflectors and are really nice lights. you could probably grow anything with them in your tank.

honestly, there is no reason for you to have lights that powerful for what you want. softies don't need that high power. they might burn under them higher up in the tank.

no not the infamous jebo. its called hommby. seems as legit as it could be @ that price. also the soft corals i have are what ive been limited to; im looking forward to some cooler stuff w some halide light

well, with the t5s i listed above, you can keep any sps, or lps that you can under MH lights. you also don't have the heat issue, which is going to be a problem for you this coming summer. also, t5 lamps last almost 2 years, rather than the 8 months or so that MH bulbs last for. and t5 lamps are 1/3 the price.

thanks man; chekked out sum t5 sites and they look pretty damn decent!(especially 4 the $!!) i wonder how a t5/halide combo would look (shimr-factor) . also, in general, i wonder how hanging an overly agressive light fixure extra high off a tank would work 2 reduce heat? (probably fine 4 halideonly but bad for 6500k t5 or c.f.- blue penetration.; hours of reading and i still suck at this. being cheap sux 4 hytek-hypowerlight shopping

That's 50% more light than my tank and my tank is 100% larger than yours. ;)

Including power for ballast, your up near a KWhr/hr for lights alone. at 10 hrs. a day, that's going to cost you about $50/mo.

On a positive note, you'll be heating your house in winter. As for summer, I hope you have central air ;)

Back