How strong of a power inverter do I need?

Brady

Non-member
Getting prepared in case the power goes out. I have 5 tanks that i would like to run at least one powerhead from each tank for oxygen. Not sure how strong of a power inverter I need. How many watts? Can you guys help me out please?

Look at everything that you want the power inverter to run and write down the wattage for each unit. Then add it all up and get yourself a power inverter that has a higher rating than what you need. Use a quality power strip plugged into the inverter so you can plug everything into the strip and be protected.

someone told me to run it off a marine battery. but i'm confused would i run the marine battery to my car battery and hook up what i need from there or do i charge the marine battery and run it off that in the house?

Charge the battery, take it out and run it in your house. Use your car for charging purposes only. Good luck. I don't think this storm is going to be a super bad one. Hopefully not many reeferers will lose power:)

Ok thanks that helps a bunch. Let's say I just run one powerhead that pulls like 7 or 8 watts. How long will that battery be able to hold the charge for?

It depends on the inverter. 400 watt should run close to 2 days . It is also dependent upon if a reg car battery is used or a marine battery . The marine battery lasts longer due to deep cycle .
MInd you that is based on just one powerhead .

Last edited:
I use a 700W inverter I got at Autozone. It plugs into my car/truck 12V cigarette lighter. I run an extension chord into the house from the driveway. Longest I have run it for was about 10 hours. Worked fine to power my main pump and a Koralia (don't know what to total wattage was). Never seemed to need it but I would go start the truck and run it from time to time.

Regarding the inverter above, 300W may be enough to cover your needs (if you needed 200w, this one is 300w) but I have had several for work etc... ALWAYS go bigger than you need. After having several of them, I would not go less than a 500-700w. I've found the performance suffers. Your mileage may vary.

U can get them @ Harbor Freight , Radio Shack . The ones I like have the terminal clips .
U don't have to run an extension cord to the car . U take the battery in the house .

Ruge33 mentions one that can be had in Best Buy and a few other places .
If you cannot find the inverters just pick up some D battey air pumps mentioned in a few threads . I am on the other side of mass and saw plenty of d battery air pumps in the few close pet stores in my area .

HTH

I have 10 battery powered air pumps. Remember I have 5 tanks. Problem is still trying to run around and find someone that has D batteries. Everyone is pretty much out. Going to try BJ's in a little while.

Back