How to jump start my fuge?

Alex

Non-member
Since I moved my refugium just hasn't been the same. I do see some copepods swimming around but I used to have tiny shrimp and mini brittle stars and all sorts of life in there. I don't really want to have to buy any new live rock so how can I get the diversity that I used to have?

Thanks,
Alex

What's in there now. I could give a handfull of chaeto. That has plenty of pods, brittle
stars and worms. Going to the meeting?
-Eric

I think the mysids have a little longer of a life cycle. at least it seems like they take longer to come back than the pods do. I bet the life is still in there, just not at high populations yet.

That being said, you could get a little sand, rock rubble and macro from another fuge, but make sure the system is as pest free as possible. red bugs, red flatworms, ick, other fish parisites...

What are you sayin!....jk :D
I am pest free. Haven't added anything since I got some stuff from Cindy.
I dipped those frags and FWE the chaeto she gave me.

Eric,
I will be at the meeting and that would be great if I could get some cheato.

Alex

I'm buying a HOB unit from Adw at the meeting, so I'll also be looking to jump start a fuge. Do you have enough extra chaeto to bring a little bit for me too, etszoo? If so I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
--cn

If your looking for a jumpstart to your pod population you should check out the bottled seapod at sea creatures. Plenty of pods in there for 20$. i have seen places that sell a thimble full for nearly 60$.

Yeah, I got in on that already. I guess I'm just looking for some chaeto, possibly with a few bigger critters in it. SeaPods only comes with the little guys.

--cn

I have a fuge stuffed with macro at the store. but i dont know what kinds haha. Id be more than happy to give you some. but i cant be sure if it is chaeto.

Conrad,
I have lots of bristle worms in mine I could give you some if you'd like.

Alex

I got in on that. Got two bottles. I'm looking for some critters other than pods. Gammarus, mini bristles. Assorted other critters.

Guess I'm bringin' a couple bags. Cool. I hate throwing it away(I usually feel so guilty
that pick out as much as possible before I toss the macro):)

Thanks etszoo!

And sure Adw, if you want to bring some bristle worms, that's cool. But don't go out of your way if it's a pain or you're pressed for time Saturday or whatever.

I was confused earlier, I just assumed eSoteric was pointing out the group buy that nunofs pointed out a couple posts later. Reading too quickly.

Anyway, thanks guys!

--cn

Don't worry. There will be plenty of spagetti and bristle worms in the chaeto.
-Eric

Back