How warm did everyones tank get during the heat wave

90+....coral devastation.

Zoas are doing great though.....and candy canes have rebounded. Other corals are gone, some have partial heads.

This happened to me last Christmas Day. Temperature controller freaked out. Thought I had lost everything, but in a few days my green star polyp came back, and after about a month my frogspawn started to grow back. Both are doing great now. It can't hurt to give them a bit of time. They may surprise you. Good luck.

sorry fwiw

:) I'll just have a back up system for next time....and I have some room to buy new corals (haha :) )..

I am actually in awe of my Duncan right now. For the longest time it was one giant head (I think about a year), then it gets hit with 90+ temps and it decides to grow four (as of today) new heads all at once.
and the montipora went from a bland orange to a really nice fire orange.
so there have been some exciting developments.

@RFroc - I have kept the skeletons in the back, maybe there will be some regrowth :)

Not mine but over the 4th and the weekend at the end of the week my friend got home and his tank was at 92 degrees. Clownfish, cleaner and fire shrimp, duncan, favia, and softies all dead. Only things to survive were a tiny yellow watchman, a bangaii cardinal, and a blenny. Rather spend a couple extra bucks on keeping the AC on a little than replacing everything in a tank but mistakes happen

I'm leaving the halides off and only running actinics today.
I'll probably cut back to 4 hrs. for the halides till Sunday.

Hits up to 84 degrees, running portable acs and fans during the day keep it down. All my corals are still happy.

Hooked up my new reefkeeper on the 40g today not knowing how hot the tank usually runs at. The cheap float thermometer has been reading around 76-78 but you know how unreliable those can be. So I hook it up, 77.0-77.5 all day long. Hell yeah. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I saw a great tip online. Take a couple poland spring bottles and fill them up with ro water, put them in the freezer, and whenever your temp gets above 80 or so, just toss one or two right in the sump or display. Its good to keep a few in the freezer at all times.

I saw a great tip online. Take a couple poland spring bottles and fill them up with ro water, put them in the freezer, and whenever your temp gets above 80 or so, just toss one or two right in the sump or display. Its good to keep a few in the freezer at all times.

This is what I do when the weather is cool enough but the tank is running higher temps than I want because of the MH. I don't really like AC running all the time.

Great advice thanks for sharing.
Only thing I would ad just in case some people don't have there own rodi. It does not have to be Ro water as none of the water is going to be going into the tank. Tap is fine

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

27.5 during the day was the max during the heatwave. Everything seems to be coloring up, I attributed it to more heavy feeding, but maybe it was the heat and I'm seeing recovery - darn :(

As I wrote, leaving the AC plus the Fans connected to the RKL was enought to keep my 2 nanos (14 and 12 G) at 78F. BUT !!!! this was the first year that I leave the AC all day due to the tanks and the heat wave (last year I do not have the reef tanks) and my electricity bill went from $150 to $370. BUT I AM HAPPY !!! and do not regret paying that much because after reading this thread I have MUCH MORE than $370 in each tank in corals, beside all the hard work you put every day to keep them alive (that is priceless) .......

Last edited:
The way I look at it personally, I don't buy corals or livestock online during the summer because I dislike the transporting of them in the heat.
So the $100+ i'd spend on corals each month ends up going into electricity instead. Fair and even trade. =]

Back