How worried should I be?

chadfish

BRS Member
Last week, while I was fragging Zoas off some rocks, I accidentally knocked a pair of tweezers into the tank. They quickly disappeared.

I searched and searched, I dug down into my sandbed, reached under arches, shined flashlights all around… nothing.

Should I be taking drastic action to find and remove them before they rust? For me, drastic action would be removing rocks with Acros on them, trying not to accidentally damage anything.

How big of a tweezer? If you could estimate the weight you could estimate the max impact on iron, nickel, cobalt etc based on typical stainless compositions. The divide over a year’s (?) worth of water change volume, thinking it might take that long or longer to decompose. Or just ICP test to know if/when it’s becoming problematic. Better to find it though!

Magnet is a great idea. Duh. I should’ve thought of that.

These are small tweezers you would use for your eyebrows. Not reefing tweezers. They have a black coating on them but they are stainless https://a.co/d/9KkjOFw

Most likely they aren’t 316 stainless more likely it’s 304 . Which does have some magnetism to it . You will need a pretty good magnetic to retrieve them . But nothing crazy like said above auto parts store type . Just be careful about bumping it in to things as you go by .

Back