hydra 26 hd parent to child connecting

dilligaf29

Non-member
having problems with connecting parent to child .it seem like they have synced but when i turn up a coloro only one light turn on but parent says only controling 1 light but has child below it i tried doing it every way possiple 2 paarents then turning one to child still nothing i spent all day yesturday and and last night pulling my hair out with the 2 lines of directions it gives u any one have any idea before im bald today thanks

walked away for awhile back at trying on my tablet now has no one had this issue connecting the 2nd hydra26 hd to the parent

tried it even did a factory reset and updated them again still can not get the child to fully sync with the parent im gonna have to cal them ive never had an issue with stuff like this i can get both lights to function by themself as parents but can get them to work together would something be blocking this i looked all over support site might just have to call them tommorow

no datta port just a power plug and little button
gave up for today i will call tommorow and see if they can fix my issue

You've probably found a solution by now, but figured I'd chime in anyway as I am having the same problem.

I believe the issue is that the WI-FI receivers in the Hydra HD units are not very sensitive. I read somewhere that AI says that your WI-FI router needs to be within 20 feet of the lights. Mine is just about exactly that far away but it's also in a cabinet. Opening the cabinet door seems to be all that is necessary to get the child lights to show up in the AI software. So after making any changes to the lighting settings I have to open the door to the cabinet that houses the router and everything syncs up. Manageable for me but could be a big problem for folks who can't get their router close enough.

Seems like a serious design flaw, IMO.

Just use AI-fi instead of tie it to your router.
I still cant figure out why anyone want to access the lights when they are away from home beside it is a cool toy.

Just use AI-fi instead of tie it to your router.
I still cant figure out why anyone want to access the lights when they are away from home beside it is a cool toy.

Not sure how to access this "AI-FI". It's not something they mention in the Quick Start Guide. Is that what you get when you do the Android Setup but not the web setup?

In any event, after running through the Android Setup (which worked fine) I did the web setup, not because I wanted to access the lights remotely, but because I thought it might be easier to configure on a large computer screen rather than a small phone screen. Turned out not to be the case. Now if I unplug my router I can't access the lights from my Android phone either, so it seems the router is required - perhaps because I did the web setup?

Hydra HD will board cast a wifi signal.
Use your ipad or phone to log on that wifi, then ope the MyAI app, you will be all set.
No router is needed.

I remember from when I set them up initially that they did create their own WiFi connection points. I think it shuts that down when you configure it for web access though because those WiFi connections haven't shown up since then. So I reset the network settings on all three of my Hydras (by holding the button until the LED blinks green) and, lo and behold, the connection points all appeared. I did manage to get it all configured so that it doesn't use my household WiFi but I might go back as it's a hassle to have to switch back and forth between my normal WiFi and the AI WiFi every time I want to change the lighting a bit.

AI definitely pushes users toward using your home WiFi probably because most of their customers would find it pretty user-unfriendly to have to switch WiFi networks to control the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
How often do you need to reprogram the lights?
It is better for your coral to just set and leave the light schedule alone.

I don't have the hd hydras but I imagine the my ai is the same? Correct me if I'm wrong or just disregard my post but both lights have to be in the same color group when you select the placement. I have two hydra 26s.

same app but HD has less functions than AI director

I don't have the hd hydras but I imagine the my ai is the same? Correct me if I'm wrong or just disregard my post but both lights have to be in the same color group when you select the placement. I have two hydra 26s.

There doesn't seem to be any concept of "color group" with the Hydra HDs. With the Hydra HDs you use the software to designate a Parent fixture and the Child fixtures that parent controls.

to fix the problem i was having. i updated both lights and then my router and then reset the lights worked fine after that .if your firmware for ur router is not uptodate might be the problem it was for me

Back