I have tons of little white wormy things running around!!

walzy444

Sushi Anyone?
:confused: I have no idea what these little things are.. all of a sudden all these things started happening in my tank. First, all the little spiral tubeworms things on my glass(they are still in there), then my nitrate levels went up to 20-40ppm, next 2 of my turbo snails and my emerald crab died in 2 days. So i did a water change.. and 2 days later i did another water change and replaced my filter media. The nitrates went down, i got 2 more snails and 2 Bangai cardinals...

When watching the fish today, I noticed there are tons of tiny tiny little bug like things running around all over the rock and sand.. like little white worms like legs and antennas.. they are kinda see through. I dont like them one bit.. what are they and how do i get rid of them?? Are they like maggot things?? i took out one of the snails and the crab, but one snail i couldnt get to... but the shell is empty now...:(

Perhaps the spiral worms are spirorbid worms? Do they have little feather duster looking appendages coming out?

The worms with antennas sound like isopods...

"I wouldn't add anything else until you get things in balance."

I agree.

I think it sounds like pods, which as stated, are good. Trust me, over time you are going to see all kinds of little critters populate and most are good. Especially if you are treating incoming corals carefully.

yes the spirals are spirorbid worms I believe. They were on the turbo snails when i got them, and now they are all over the place... Those i dont mind as much because they dont run around.
i took a few pics. The first pic is one of the spirorbid worms, the second pic is of the bug or pod or what ever it is that is running around, and the 3rd is a pic of little white tree looking white tubs growing in some spots. some kind of look like roots.
Thanks for everyones input by the way. ive been looking up copapods, and some kind of look like these but im not positive... they are more straight tube like with 2 long antennas, no irregular shapes.
DSC00224.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

1st pic- worm/faether duster type dealio(great for polishing your water since it is a filter feeder)

2nd pic- looks like a pod of sorts to me if I am looking at the correct thing, a good sign of a healthy tank and future food for inhabitants

3rd pic- sponge, also a filter feeder, most likely non-photosynthetic, great for filtering

You are going to be amazed at the amount of life that comes out of nowhere(so to speak)..most are signs of healthy system and good to have around!

people told me things would pop out of nowhere, but I didn't think it would happen to my tank lol one week and all these things appear.. its crazy, thanks for the help!!Maybe I should get a green man goby and kill those pods lol j/k very awesome fish tho

the second pic it looks more worm like it is the thing on bottom line of shell with two antennas right? if it is a copepod its one on roids

the second pic it looks more worm like it is the thing on bottom line of shell with two antennas right? if it is a copepod its one on roids

Looks like a rather blurry amphipod.
I see them mostly at night.But,I often see their shrimp like molts blowing around the tank here and there when the lights are on.
Very good to have,IMO.:)

They are about 1/8" long (some bigger, some smaller)and run around like scattering centipedes. They dont swim, just run on surfaces. When I first turned the light on there were like hundreds of them running all over the rocks and sand. Then about half hour to an hour later They all disappeared.

They are about 1/8" long (some bigger, some smaller)and run around like scattering centipedes. They dont swim, just run on surfaces. When I first turned the light on there were like hundreds of them running all over the rocks and sand. Then about half hour to an hour later They all disappeared.

Then that sounds like brissle worms.
Again,nothing to get worried about.Just make sure you wear gloves when reaching in there.They have some stingers that can cause some pretty bad reaction.

ive been looking at pics of bristle worms.. they dont look like them either.. ill keep looking at pics, if I cant figure it out in a few days, ill bring some to my LFS, they have marine biologists and oceanographers that work there...

ive been looking at pics of bristle worms.. they dont look like them either.. ill keep looking at pics, if I cant figure it out in a few days, ill bring some to my LFS, they have marine biologists and oceanographers that work there...
were is this if u dont mind me asking

it looks like an amphipod, good luck catching them i never could even when there like a hundred of them in only a 5 gal

Back