ID: Dumbo the snail?

~Flighty~

Now with more baby
I've started to see these snails all over the tank. they blend in really well and I first noticed them with that light that shows the florressence. They have a small shell that is an offset flat spiral and it only covers about half of their body. They have tissue that comes up over the sides of the shell too. They are pretty skittish and avoid light most of the time, but the population has exploded and I can find them out all the time now. One of the neetst things is how they move when they are scarred. They almost run by using just the two front corners of their foot and well, running. They go really fast for snails this way. The other neet thing is that they are eating the nasty pest alge in my tank. Yay!

Anyone know what they are?

This is one of the largest darkest colored ones. the little hairy things on the right side of the shell are the tissue I'm talking about. In this pic check out the nasty alge he is chowing on. Whatever he is, I'm keeping him. Doesn't he look a little like an elephant?

Attachments

• snail.JPG
    snail.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Be patient, the picture is comming....
Why does my friggin computer always hang when the attachment box comes up? Arrg

Too funny...he does look like Dumbo...

Definitely looks like he is doing a "hoover" job on that algae, too. Sorry, no idea what kind he is. Video of that running thing would be good, too. :)

Ok, the running thing is a little less dramatic than it sounds, but I don't know how else to explain it. I'll try to catch one on the glass and get him to do it. As soon as I can figure out what my computer's problem is I'll post some more shots of this guy

I can't see the shell too clearly from the pictures, but have you searched for strombus snails? Looks like it could be close.

And yes, he definitely looks like an elephant. ;)

Ahhhh Ad aware fixed it.

A few smaller ones around the tank. I've seen them as small as a grain of sand.

Attachments

• snail4.JPG
    snail4.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 344
Good call Nuno....I think you've got it.

I was starting to think the little guy was looking like a baby conch or something with that snout.

I have quite a few too... they come out mostly at night (or at least I notice them mostly at night, while searching for the darn mantis with a flashlight... oh, what joy the nights of a reefer :rolleyes: )

Nuno

Dang! That's what I meant to say. :)

Anyways, I'll take some. I'll trade you for a handful of juvenile cerith snails. They seem to find my lighting romantic.

Nate

Okedokey, just remind me before the next time I see you. I'm not sure how hard these guys are to catch.

Back