intake cover for modded maxi 1200? Sucked in coral banded. :-(

steve214989

Non-member
my coral banded shrimp was sucked into my modded maxi 1200. Sea flow or sure flow. Not sure which one it is. How can I prevent this from happening again?

Are you sure it was really the shrimp, and not just the old exoskeleton after a molt?

Are you sure it was really the shrimp, and not just the old exoskeleton after a molt?

GOOD call..i get nervous whenever i see the skin floating around the tank..lol

does the skin produce amonia by chance. I take it out right when I notice it, but just to be safe????

no it was the shrimp. Just added him to the tank last night. Half the body and feelers were stuck on the outside of the intake holes.

no it was the shrimp. Just added him to the tank last night. Half the body and feelers were stuck on the outside of the intake holes.

gotta put one of those grated covers on it so save your creatures. I remember when I bought my first cleaner shrimp. Didnt get sucked into anythings, just died. 17 bucks....GONE

RIP to our shrimp

Last edited:
it's a propeller mod and don't know how to cover the sides where it sucks in water without restricting it too much.

That sucks. I remember the first time I saw a molt of my shrimp I was sad until I realized it was the molt...

Get a bigger shrimp that wont fit through the grid.
I've had a Coral Banded for 1 1/2 yr. and it never goes near PHs.
It's always hanging out in the same area defending it's turf.

I have no idea how or why it got near the PH. It's in the top rh corner of my tank on the opposite end of all my rockwork.

That's odd.
The only time mine climbs the glass is to scare fish or the cleaner away from it's territory.

well my peppermint shrimp swim all over my tank, even up to the top, so I can see if the PH is powerful enough to drag it in there how that would happen

that is a horrible death....

poor little shrimp chopped up like putting a man in a wood chipper fargo style...eww..

but than again i guess it could beworse...could have been fried up mozambique style--mmm that sounds good...

I took my Maxi-mod right out of my tank.I got sick of it pulling vortex's from the surface and when lowered,creating sand storms.So it makes a nice powerful saltwater mixer.

FYI, the sheet rock stuff (seam tape) has some adhesive on it, but I do have a whole roll of vinyl gutter guard if you are interested you can have some. Just drop a pm

wow. I was wrong. Looked in my tank today and found my coral banded under a rock defending his territory! I'm so shocked. I swore I saw his whole body chopped up. It didn't look like normal moulting but I was wrong. Picked up some plastic screen anyway. Now I just need to figure out how to get a damsel out of my owerflow. LOL. Been in there swimming around for days now.

Good to hear. If it had been sucked in it would have most likely been due to it being dead or on its way out

Back