interesting test results

nemogonecrazy

Non-member
Has anyone gotten a bad batch of salt before? (instant ocean)

I recently picked up a bag of instant ocean started using it and was getting more algea than normal. so i tested my ro water 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate. mixed the instant ocean in and was getting .1ppm phosphate and 2.5 nitrate. Could i consider that a bad batch or is that a normal reading for instant ocean? :confused:

strange. Could it be contamination with the mixing container? I think dried alge in the mixing thingy might do that.

mixing container is rinsed with ro before and after each mix then kept air tight when not in use. thanks for the respone flighty seems like everytime i ask something i dont really hear anything from anyone.

nemogonecrazy said:
seems like everytime i ask something i dont really hear anything from anyone.

Don't take it personally. I think it just depends who is online, and if they have an opinion on the question asked. As for me, I use Tropic Marin, so I have no opinion on I/O, therefore, no response.

Flighty just likes to type. She'll answer anything. J/k :D ;) :)

-Linda

I don't have enough expereince to help you. I've only used Oceanic and still on my first large bucket. So I only have experience with 1 bucket of salt.

Just wanted to add nothing but an extra moe to this thread.

I use instant ocean and don?t seem to have the problem......I have not heard of a "bad batch" of salt though.....but I am sure it must happen sometimes...

I SEE MOE!

If you check RC there has actually been ALOT of discussion about different salts and bad batches etc.

one more Moe

There are massive threads on RC about I/O salt and algae problems with it. All you could ever want to know. From what I've read it's bad stuff right now....
All these Moe icons are starting to freak me out.

there are also a lot of threads about Oceanic causing algae blooms as well. I take it all with a grain of salt. :D

I've used I/O for 4 yrs and never had any problems that I know of. Never had any hair algae problems. I do get the occasional cyno but I also need to increase my water flow. I guess I'll have to start testing every now and again........

Yes, another Moe!

Ive tested my IO mix once but it was long long ago and the results were normal except for low Ca and Mg. So I always mix my IO salt with a bit of Ca. solution. I have been using IO salt since starting in this hobby 7+ yrs ago and always seemed to do well with my tanks. Not saying IO is the best salt but it certainly does well for a lot of people.

As for your readings trying mixing several small samples in different containers and testing again. Seems odd that you would have gotten such a bad batch but anythings possible.

Show me your Moe!
Peace!.gif

im currently dealing with a person from marineland labs gonna send him a sample of the salt today. i will let everyone know the results

never heard or read anything linking IO to algea just oceanic algea blooms and people switching back to IO got any links i would be interested in these threads you have seen

Moe? where? i didnt see Moe

Did you ?

Go to RC and search for it. It's a recent development. Of course, the "tests" are not exactly laboratory science.

I have been using IO for three years without ever encountering algea issues, but my stock is from a 10 bucket buy last year.

more moe!

Back