Is this normal for a new tank

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
I am getting some stringy type of algea I am guessing, it is reddish in color.Here is a crappy picture.

Looks like red-slime algae (which is actually cyanobacteria)... common causes are excess nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) and/or too little flow.

You may want to start removing them by hand, and increasing flow close to the sand. Btw, when you have cyanobacteria your nitrate and phosphates tests may read 0 because the algae is eating them, not because they are actually zero...

Nuno

red slime algae, yes normal... agree with nuno... I think your main problem is little flow is getting down to the bottom of that tank... the power heads are great at the top, but dont usually penetrate that far down... can you aim your 2 powerheads that are facing each other slightly out towards a center point in the tank. that will help cause the glass with send the water all over the place, best would be if you can tilt your powerheads slightly downward, not too much...just a little.

if you ever descide you want to do flowbars I think we can eliminate that problem, but you would have to buy a pump... hey is that tank drilled and capped for an internal closed loop? please tell me yes?

clamm said:
if you ever descide you want to do flowbars I think we can eliminate that problem, but you would have to buy a pump... hey is that tank drilled and capped for an internal closed loop? please tell me yes?

Nope, I will try to manuver the heads towards the sand a bit.I will also do a water change tomorrow.I don't have a test for phosphates so i am not sure what they are at.

There isn't a lot of it just a little in one area and a little on the rocks.It is blowing in the current so I think flow isn't a real problem but like i said i will move the pumps a bit.

come by and ill give you a phospahte kit.

Kevin McG said:
Nope, I will try to manuver the heads towards the sand a bit.I will also do a water change tomorrow.I don't have a test for phosphates so i am not sure what they are at.

There isn't a lot of it just a little in one area and a little on the rocks.It is blowing in the current so I think flow isn't a real problem but like i said i will move the pumps a bit.

Back