It finally happened to me...

smcnally

Tankless
I just got back from a weeks vacation. My wife had a horrible time taking care of the tank. The sump kept over flowing on here (because I set the auto topoff to dose way too much daily) and as a result she had to remove water. All the corals look good except for a small green digitata I had that is all white now. But yesterday while on my way home, my BTA took a trip into a powerhead. It doesn't look dead, although VERY damaged. My wife scooped up all the little bits with a net (the ones my zoos and palythoas didn't eat). This morning the BTA has opened up some and my clowns look like they are trying to cheer it up. I don't know if I should leave it in or pull it out.

I think they can handle pretty substantial damage, but it is infection theat gets them. I don't know of any treatment for that other than stable water Q. Keep an eye on it and COVER YOUR POWERHEAD INTAKES!

Cindy, the intake is (and was) covered with a screen mesh. I guess it was just powerful enough to suck the BTA through it. I just looked at it and it's mouth is gaping a little. Not a good sign. Mark, LOL...My wife had to work, and it was a "Man" trip. We went up to Saranac lake and Lake Placid for a week. We did a lot of fishing and drinking...she wouldn't have wanted to be there.

At least you had it covered enough that you didn't end up with minced anemone. The only way I've seen that works to cover them is to have something that diffuses the force of the suck. A sponge works, but is a pain to keep clean, but if you can make a cage out of mesh so it has a bigger surface area, that works great.

Oh, Steve, she had a mucher harder time than that... the kalk reactor was blowing snowstorms, the electricity went out (no internet or phone), the dog scratched her eye and ended up in the vet's office.... oh, we will see when you get your next "man's vacation" LOL!!!! :)

Wow... glad to hear that things on the whole faired well. I would leave the BTA in there and keep a close eye on it. As far as the green digi goes, I can give you a frag at the next meeting if you want.

KAS said:
Wow... glad to hear that things on the whole faired well. I would leave the BTA in there and keep a close eye on it. As far as the green digi goes, I can give you a frag at the next meeting if you want.
Thanks for the offer. I have another small green digi in there thats doing fine though. Hey, maybe it will come back anyways...I've had others come back.

Here's a picture...It's about 2/3 it's normal size.
DSC00658.jpg

Back