Kalk (aka pickling lime) in ATO - mixing pump?

thomb

thomb
Does anyone using kalk in their autotopoff reservoir also have a mixing pump there?

The lime powder just seems to settle on the bottom - maybe that's ok, maybe not.

Worth the effort of adding a mixing pump?

I do.
And I just let the residue settle to the bottom.
I'll mix it up before I add more kalk to the top of reservoir.
Water can only hold so much of the kalk before it precipitates.

I just rinse that stuff out a couple times a year.

Thank you Reeferer!
I am
A. Glad to see what I am doing is a good practice
B. Glad I don't need to bother with a mixing pump.

One less cord to worry about!

I dose Kalk through my ATO and don't have a mixing pump either. I mix 3 ts/ Kalk and 45ML/ vinegar per gallon into a 7G reservoir of RODI. Some settles on the bottom of the reservoir, but I don't worry much about it. My pump sits about 1" from the bottom and doesn't suck any of the sediment when it goes on.

The 7G reservoir usually lasts me about 4-5 days, maybe more in the Summer. I probably clean the reservoir once in a blue moon... or when I feel like it :).

Oh, and btw... I am always about saving an extra power cord! :p

Higor

Last edited:
I do as Higor does.......just purchased a ATO container from advanced acrylics as well so that it can hold more than 4-5 gallons! I use kalk+2 from brightwell, claims to have magnesium in it was well and I have had good results.

I use a 20 gallon rubbermaid trash can for my top-off kalk container.
And I get my kalk from BRS.

I dose kalk instead of using my ATO. I have a dosing pump 1.1ml per minute and set it to go on for 2 minutes on 2 minutes off all day long. As others said I make up my kalk once a week and after the initial mixing it just sits there.

mchartier,

Just curious what do you use to time your 1.1 ml pump sounds like a BRS unit, I have three but looking for a better way to control them without going to a controller.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes it is the BRS dosers, Reefkeeper Elite is what I use, you could use a ReefKeeper light, I know they use to have one for $100 that was the head unit and PC4. The only thing I advise is that one a Reefkeeper make sure that you use these on channels 1 or 4 as the they are relay switches while 2&4 are solid state switches.

Note I also use the same type pump to dose vinegar too, but I do not mix the kalk and vinegar.

Back