killer blue damsel

tommy6905

Non-member
so ive had 2 blue damsels in my tank along with other small fish for awhile, and the recently added peacock mantis. my mantis leaves everybody alone no problems, but ive been noticing the bigger blue damsel(assuming thats the male of the 2) hes about 3'', anyways he nips at the peacock occasionally as he struts by, i figured the peacock would turn around and give him alittle punch but nothing. then today i got my arm in the tank fixing some rocks that fell, and he attacks my hand, not once, like 30 times....sorry to say but the little guys about to visit the boston harbor via the toilet..hes not even worth giving away so he can aggravate someone else

cheapest fish=most vicious

No wrasses, dotty backs, royal grammas, dominos, 3 or 4 stripe damsels, blue or any other damsel in my tank. They are like the ignorant bullies in the playground in your tank. I do like green chromis though. I have a list of corals I won't have either because they grow to plague levels. After almost 20 years you learn these things.

I had blue damsels that did that--would nip at my hand. After dismanteling my entire tank, I finally caught him, and he spent the next month in cheato. Petco "adopted" him eventually. They're really a pain in the butt. I've had the same experience with Green Chromis as Bobbofin mentioned, really nice fish.

ya im being sarcastic saying id flush him, the other one is fine, in fact it might be different, its blue with a black spot near the tail, ive never had any of the chromis. i went to one of the lfs one day to grab a few but they were out, i think thats when i got the damsels instead...i guess you learn from your mistakes

if anybody wants him, they can have the other one as well

Also keep an eye out for a full size female Maroon Gold Stripe clown fish, ooooouch, can she ever leave a mark!!!!!

haha ok i was actually checking them out , i went with a pair of clarkiis instead..ya the damsel caught me off guard the first time, i jumped water splashed everywhere, i thought it was the peacock creeping on me, and i havent worked up enough courage to tak a whack from him, maybe one of these nights when i got a few drinks in me, haha

Wouldnt worry about the mantis if the damsel bothers it too much it will make lunch out of it.
Be careful too, they call mantis shrimp thumbsplitters for a reason. ya might end up needing a few stitches
If you can catch the damsel id bring it to your LFS and say here ya go!

Hoping your talking about ditching the damsel, but if your talking about taking on the mantis at least video tape it so we can all enjoy the laugh too! lol

haha like i said if i get the courage, ill be sure to catch it on video, i dont mind laughing at myself either

Back