Lawnmower blenny / hair algae

synchiropi

Low energy alien reefer
Hey guys,

I am thinking of buying a lawnmower blenny for algae control. Both my "marine lettuce" (i am not sure how else to call it!) and hair algae are starting to spread around. The "marine lettuce" is actually sort of cool looking but I can see it becoming a pest.

Now, has anybody have one of these together with a green mandarin? I guess the blenny is mostly vegetarian, but I wonder if it might see the mandarin as a competitor. One website said something about "beware of other blennies sold as the lawnmower blenny that will nip on corals and clams"... Any way to correctly identify the lawnmower blenny?

Additionally, I would like to buy one of those phosphate removers. Any recommendations (or warnings!)?

Thanks!

this is my lawnmower/algae blenny. I have had him for a few years . I have had him with a mandarin before with no problems He's a great cleaner!

Attachments

• Picture 564.jpg
    Picture 564.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 277
I had a lawnmower my self and he did an OK job, but not great especially in the nooks and cranies of the rocks. In frustration I bought a sea hare and in 12 days he has rid my tank of hair algae, rocks are scrubbed clean.
Now I have to find him a new home because he'll be needing a new food source soon.
Seeing that you are in Worcester, I'd be more than happy to either sell him to you or lend him to you until your problem algae is gone. send me a private message.

I've had a lawnmower blennie for over a yr and a half...added a mandarin 2 months ago and no issues. Added another mandarin from last meeting...so far so good. The blennie doesn't even care when the mandarin swims over it.

I have a lawnmower blennie, he cleans the glass & rocks. But doesn't make much of a dent in the hair algae. I had a yellow tang in the tank, & never saw much hair algae. Now he is in the basement tank & the hair algae is back.
I tried (2) sea hares, 1st one was DOA, 2nd one was DOA after 1 day - and also MIA, which I think led to problems in the tank

Sea hares work great! We got one last month he is working his way through the tanks. Check with Brendon at Skipton's, he seems to have them the most often. Our lawnmower did not keep up with the hair algae although they are fun to watch.

Last edited:
my lawnmower is only cleaning the glass. he is leaving the rocks for the most part alone. my first lawnmower (which was like 3 times the size) ate every strand of hair algea that was ever in my tank. that was three tanks ago.

Back