Leathers and SPS: recipe for disaster?

tucc185

Non-member
I have always heard that leathers produce toxins that slow/inhibit SPS coral growth. I have also seen many seemingly successful tanks with both. My question is, is it possible to keep the two together in a small tank? I have mostly LPS, but I do have some SPS (Porites, acros, montipora capricornis). I really want a yellow toadstool leather, but if it will cause problems in a small/medium tank (46 gallons) with my other stuff I'll pass. Any experiences keeping both? Advice? I don't intend to have an SPS dominated tank with giant acros, but I would like a good variety. I don't mind if the leather will merely slow SPS growth, but if it will stress them or make them more susceptible to problems then I'd rather avoid getting one. Thanks for any thoughts,
Mike

I've heard that running carbon can help remove the toxic output of corals.
Toadstools can get pretty huuge.
I remember moving PyroJon's toadstool that was as big as a tree stump.
Karl had a gigundo toadstool too.

I kept a mixed tank for a while. I started a second tank and seperated them, I did notice improved growth and color. But, while they were all in together I never noticed any problems and I never ran carbon....still rarely do.

If u have a good mix....no problem. But if you have 1 or 2 SPS and a boat load of softies, then there could be a problem. I had a mixed reef for the first 2-3 years with good SPS growth and coloration.

I have a med. toadstool in my 46 with many sps. I have not had any issues that would relate to the toadstool being in the tank.

Back