LED's and Clams?

Royalty

Reefer In Training
In the past couple months I noticed a lot of members switching there old MH for D.I.Y LED's or per fab fixture's, I was just wondering if any of you that have made the switch notice any huge difference in your corals health? For those who have clams like the Derasa species or the Crocea Clam in there tank's with LED's have you seen any changes in your clams? Like color variation and behaviors and things of that nature? I been thinking I might want to add a clam to my tank but I don't know if I should wait until I set up my Nano with my D.I.Y LED's and kind of give the little tank a test run before I make the switch on my other tanks from t5 to LED's.

Last edited:
I just picked up a PAR30 to put over my BC14 . Im going to keep SPS and LPS . Ill post my opinions after I see how the tank turns out . Im curious as to how well the color and health of Acro's differs from MH to LED also .

In the past couple months I noticed a lot of members switching there old MH for D.I.Y LED's or per fab fixture's, I was just wondering if any of you that have made the switch notice any huge difference in your corals health? For those who have clams like the Derasa species or the Crocea Clam in there tank's with LED's have you seen any changes in your clams? Like color variation and behaviors and things of that nature? I been thinking I might want to add a clam to my tank but I don't know if I should wait until I set up my Nano with my D.I.Y LED's and kind of give the little tank a test run before I make the switch on my other tanks from t5 to LED's.

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences also. With clams you have to factor in what type of clam it is. t.Deresa is much easier to keep than say t.Crocea or t.Maxima.

It would be interesting to know if the clams do well under LED's.

i have had a derasa under leds since brass..my tank has had some kind of funk goin on for the past few months though

Mine is going on three weeks, and I have never seen everything look so happy, including the clams.

i have 4 captive raised maximas purchased from CRA. I bought them when they were about an inch in size, 2 about a year ago and two about 3 months ago. Under my MH these captive clams grow extemely quickly. I converted anout 2 months ago from one 250de mh and now run 2 SOL blue bricks.Their growth under the LEDS has not slowed down at all and their mantle is fully open during the peak daylight hours. The only differnece i have seen is that the color to me looks alot nicer under the LED.

Last edited:
I have one, and a Maxima. Once I fired up the LEDs, they look twice the size, because they are really opened up.
So I Creed 3watt LED's are the best way to go? as far a get the corals and clams enough light to keep em happy anything less is not worth it huh? I wonder what size LED heat sink's should I go with for my bows? 155, 72,46 and my little 6.5 Fluval? I kinda like having 3 Red in there and if they make them 3 green creed LED and 60 White and 60 Royal blue's for my 155 I dont know if thats enought tho?

Cree led are definetly some of the best ways to go for leds there are a few other well respected manufacturers but they also tend to follow the 3w per led forumula. I have kept clams and sps under leds with great results. When i did the par test the led setup far surpassed my dual 250w MH setup and that is without optics.

There is some great info on RC about the amount of Leds needed as well as the best options for color choices as well to get the best balance.

Cree led are definetly some of the best ways to go for leds there are a few other well respected manufacturers but they also tend to follow the 3w per led forumula. I have kept clams and sps under leds with great results. When i did the par test the led setup far surpassed my dual 250w MH setup and that is without optics.

There is some great info on RC about the amount of Leds needed as well as the best options for color choices as well to get the best balance.
thanks for the heads up. Not to sound lazy but you happen to have link to that led chart thing I just broke the hinges to my laptop last week and this week after I move out my old place I cracked the screen on my laptop :( and my cheapo Metro sucks on RC I'll be upgrading phone's and laptop next month I can't wait for my android phone and IPAD 2gen gotta have my toyz.

So I Creed 3watt LED's are the best way to go? as far a get the corals and clams enough light to keep em happy anything less is not worth it huh? I wonder what size LED heat sink's should I go with for my bows? 155, 72,46 and my little 6.5 Fluval? I kinda like having 3 Red in there and if they make them 3 green creed LED and 60 White and 60 Royal blue's for my 155 I dont know if thats enought tho?

If you are building LEDs for all of those you are talking ALOT of money, I spent about $1000 on mine, Good Luck

been going on 5months with mine still good
So 5 months with LED's or with your clam under LED's? And notice you don't have any other tank's listed what's the plan when the clam out grows your 12 Gallon? Cause by the looks of it clam's love the LED's and we might be getting reports of faster growth and even brighter colors I can wait to get my LED's on my Nano and try out a Maxi Clam I have my 72bow just in case things get crazy but my only concern is my Algae Blenny I don't know how friendly it's going to be toward my prize clam I guess I could just make a box out of egg when the time come's.

Not all LED fixtures will be the same color. There are variances within the same models. Higher end models let you mix and match color spectrums and intensity. I have no experience with clams and LEDs but you will see differences in reviews SPS for this reason. My point is that if the general feedback is positive you will need to experiment your own because every led setup is different.

Back