Light fan wiring help

diverbh4

Swimmin With The Fishies
Anybody know how to wire a computer fan with 3 wires to a light fixture? I am just trying to replace the old fan but the old one only had 2 wires.

Anybody know how to wire a computer fan with 3 wires to a light fixture? I am just trying to replace the old fan but the old one only had 2 wires.

This should really be in the lounge.
But,I buy the 2 wire ones right at Radio Shack to replace cooling fans in my JBJ PC light fixture.

Computer fans generally need an DC converter (wall wart).

I would assume that the old fan was either AC, or there is some sort of built in converter?

I'd start by figuring out which it actually is.

Ok. Should it say it on it or is there something I should look for to tell?

If the fan has a molex connector, its probably a 12v fan. The one you mentioned with the 3 wire is a 12v fan--it should say it on the fan... something along the line of "DC12V .15A". One positive, negative, and rpm control. I've used those fans before for my light fixture. I cut the rpm control wire since its not needed. I used an old 12v wall adapter (typically from old cable modem, router, cd player charger, etc) then connect the 2 fan wire to the adapter wire... and wala.

FYI, I used 2 120mm (one on each side) PC fan hooked up to a 12v wall adapter for my lighting fan. Its much cheaper than buying 2 120mm 110v fans. My 3x250mh + 2x96pc fixture is always cool. Just make sure the amperage rating of the adapter exceeds the output of the fan(s).

This should really be in the lounge
Actually, it should be in the DIY forum. The poor neglected DIY forum. :)

I used an old 12v wall adapter (typically from old cable modem, router, cd player charger, etc) then connect the 2 fan wire to the adapter wire... and wala.

And in addition to making sure be sure that the adapter (aka "wall wart", love that name) is the correct voltage, make sure it's correctly DC or AC which ever you need. I always thought they were DC, but as it turns out they come in both types.

Powering a DC device with AC produces some interesting effects, but probably not something you want to try with your fan.

Powering a DC device with AC produces some interesting effects, but probably not something you want to try with your fan.

I agree, putting a DC device with an AC adapter will have an interesting affect. The DC adapter Im referring to are those ones to power small appliances. There should be a label on the adapter itself and as long as the "output" is showing 12V, you should be fine (the "input" will say something like "110V 50/60hz").

Or if you're not comfortable using existing adapters, radioshack sells 12v adapters for around $25.

I agree, putting a DC device with an AC adapter will have an interesting affect. The DC adapter Im referring to are those ones to power small appliances. There should be a label on the adapter itself and as long as the "output" is showing 12V, you should be fine (the "input" will say something like "110V 50/60hz").

that's what I thought too. I grabbed one of these from an old answering machine, telephone, or something and to my surprise it was AC. Otherwise it looked like any other DC adapter. Upon closer inspection as I pilfered all my old electronics it generally says "Output: AC 9V" or "Output: DC 12V".

I just looked at the number, which is why I mention it.

Back