Light fixture recommendation

CrypticLifeStyle

Non-member
So i'm going to be upgrading from a marineland 27g cube to a Deep Blue edge 60g cube soon. I've been using a Current 4 bulb t5ho with ati bulbs over the 27g for the past year, and i'm not sure if it'll be enough for the 60g cube. I'm considering a 6 bulb t5ho, but finding it to be way more $ then i want to spend.

Let's say i want the light to grow everything, which i'm doing now. I'm seeking advice on alternative fixtures that i'm not seeing that are not MH or LED (i want to stay t5/t5ho) that won't break the bank. Would i need a 6 bulb, or 8 bulb t5ho, or can i go t5. Would the 4 bulb t5ho be enough, or would it for the sake of saving $ be better i use the 4 bulb t5ho fixture, and just buy a 2 bulb t5ho fixture, and have both on the tank.

Even thought about a regular 6>8 bulb t5 shop light/indoor grow fixture hanging over as well. I would love to stay below $200- if possible.

The 60 is only 4" wider and longer, 6' deeper. If you are getting good results with what you have now, I don't think you would need to upgrade the lights at all.

for a 60g cube. If you want to use T5. I would go for either a 6 or 8 bulbs (8x24w) because of its height (24 inches I believe)
One thing I know very sure now is that the 6-8 bulbs T5 fixtures are much harder to find than LED fixture.

@ phg1960

Well the 27g is 20"L x 18"D x 18"H - The 60g is 24"L x 24"D x 24"H . The current 24" 4- bulb t5ho fixture is 7 1/2" deep. The concern that popped is the 6" of added height mostly effecting PAR values, and paired with the 6" of added depth if the light spread will be enough with the bulbs being a 1" high into the fixture. Unfortunately part of my answers would come from a PAR meter i suppose after the setup, and i'm hoping to maybe get a direction prior to that stage.

@ vedau

I haven't had a hard time finding them, it's the sticker shock that gets to me. Also, i wonder if a 6 bulb regular t5 will equal out to a 4 bulb t5ho, which given wattage i think would. So that's why i'm considering hanging a indoor grow fixture, as it's half the price. I'm finding this light situation as the hardest part of my decisions for this setup.

The depth of the tank is only an issue if you keep the corals 6" further from the light fixture. If you're going to put them lower than yeah, 6 bulb will be more powerful

you can use normal output t5, but
1, for 6 NO t-5, you get about the same lumen as 4 t-5HO(sorry, no PAR data available because reefers don't care about NO of any thing)
2. I don't know where to buy NO t-5 bulbs for reefing

Thats why i was hoping for a alternative suggestion for a 6 bulb t5ho that i wasn't coming across myself in the search. The price jump from 4>6 is crazy IMO, more then that tank itself. My general concern right now is if the 4 bulb i have now will be able to give enough light spread to properly reach front, and back, and if so will the added tank height dramatically effect the PAR in a way that it'll affect coral growth, but i suppose for now i'll just have to see when it's setup, and i'll have to be more strategic where i place the corals.

I'm now considering a MH fixture, but then the thoughts of issue's/risk's of the coral acclimation from t5ho to MH. Which brings me to what MH, and bulb should i go with if i went that direction. For the ATI bulbs i'm using now i'm using 2x aqua blue, 1 purple plus, 1 coral plus . I would love to be able to replicate that visual spectrum if possible with a MH bulb.

Yeah the 20k version seems, at least in words it could be what i'm chasing for visual spectrum. Now, my question would be, would the 250w be sufficient, or would i need to go with the 400w with a single pendant?

If i'm totally missing something please let me know. I only pulled the trigger on reef tanks 14/15 months ago so first hand experience is still in the "noob" stage :)

So maybe i should ask the question, if you had a rimless 60g cube 24"x24"x24", what would you light it with, stocked with LPS/SPS/zoa's-palys/"soft corals" all of which i have now, and is there a good rule of thumb to acclimate from t5 > MH if that route is chosen.

Last edited:
I would probably choose the 250 if you want all those varieties of corals and then keep your sps up top and towards the middle.

I have 3 Radium 250s over my 180. Your 60 is essentially 1/3 of my tank so 1 250 should be fine. My tank is almost completely SPS placed at all levels (including on the sand bed) with no issues.

JD

Yeah the 20k version seems, at least in words it could be what i'm chasing for visual spectrum. Now, my question would be, would the 250w be sufficient, or would i need to go with the 400w with a single pendant?

If i'm totally missing something please let me know. I only pulled the trigger on reef tanks 14/15 months ago so first hand experience is still in the "noob" stage :)

So maybe i should ask the question, if you had a rimless 60g cube 24"x24"x24", what would you light it with, stocked with LPS/SPS/zoa's-palys/"soft corals" all of which i have now, and is there a good rule of thumb to acclimate from t5 > MH if that route is chosen.

One 250w 20K radium with a good reflector will do. You can have anything you want under it in a 60g cube.
Don't worry about acclimation under light, I move coral from t-5 to MH then back all the time.

Back