Looking at new lights... could use some help!

Intheflesh

Non-member
Currently, I have a 6 x 39watt Powermodule from ATI. Great light, the fixture is asthetically pleasing, etc. No real complaints other than I am constantly looking for the right combination of bulbs to get a color I like.

I have been looking at the Pac Sun Pandora Hyperions. There are 2 models: R2 and the S. Based on my notes:

R2
  • has white LEDs, no UV
  • 150 watt LED panels (1 for the 30", 2 for the 36")
  • 4 t5 bulbs, (2 for the 30" model)

S

• UV lights, no whites

• 75 or 145 watt LED panels(1 for the 30", 2 for the 36")

• 4 t5 bulbs, (2 for the 30" model)

Now the questions-

why would I want white vs UV LEDs? This one stumps me. What ever color is lakcing, you can probably make up by usings a t5 in the color spectrum thats's missing- so this seems like a wild card in the choice category.

What watt led panel? 75, 145, or 150? My tank is only ~18" deep, I dont think I will need the 145-150 watt panels

Now here's the real question- what size? My tanks foot print is 36 x 18. My first instinct is to go with the 900mm fixture (~36"). But according to the website, the 600mm (30") fixture will cover up to 1000cm! The 900mm model is good up to 1250mm. Depending if I get the 30 or 36", that my change my mind on whether I should get the 75, 145, or 1500 watt LED panels. My tank is rimless, so I don't need to worry about shadow from a single LED panel.

So many questions....

I would ask Archit from love the reef. He has them on his tanks and I saw them for the fist time. After seeing them in person I want to get the S for my tank. Now just need 800 bucks.

Correction to my post above. Both models have UV!

My first instinct was the 36" S, 2x75 + 4x39"... This will give the option for a bigger tank down the line.

I have the Hyperion s, which is the same thing as the pandoras without the t5's. It took a few days to get use to the no white LEDs in the fixture but I have come to really enjoy the look. Gives it a nice natural looking turquoise color, really makes the coral pop. I have a 90 gallon so I have the 40 inch long fixture 2 x 145 watt panels and it works well. If I had a 120 which is wider I would have got the pandoras for the extra light spread from the t5's. Had the fixture a little over the week and really enjoy it so far. For your tank 1 pandora with a 75 watt panel should be enough but I would recommend just getting the 145 watt panel. It's better to have the capacity to have a more powerful light and scale it back then to not have enough power. Plus I don't think the price difference is that great

Back