Looking for a quality heater

Look for a titanium heating element that is what I use with my ac3, but it must be used with a controller as when it is plugged in it is on.

Look for a titanium heating element that is what I use with my ac3, but it must be used with a controller as when it is plugged in it is on.

+1
Titanium heaters are the way to go IMHO with a digital controller. Just make sure you have it in your sump otherwise IIRC it can damage livestock somehow from the way it heats.

Thanks. I have read that Finnex fail often and I think I was told that jäger had a recall( not positive about that). I read that won brothers makes a good heater. But I only they jump from 50 watts to 300 watts. I have a 45 gal tank with about 10 gal sump/refugium. Would 1 300 watt be way to big?

Well they suggest about 2.5 watts per gallon depending where you ask. So a 45 gallon would need 112.5 watts of heater. Other places say 2-5 watts per gallon.
The closer to 2 WPG, the more gently and slowly it will heat the water to set temp compared to if you use 5 WPG it will reach set temp faster and more abrupt in comparison. I'm sure it'd be a minimal difference to be noticed, but never the less. I myself have a 75 watt on my 29g which is exactly 2.5 if you call it a 30g instead of 29g. I have it attached to a ReefKeeperRKL1 and it has NEVER dropped below 77.5 where it is set to come on and set to turn off at 77.7
Everytime I check, it is always within those parameters. Note I also have a series of 6 fans (one plug) plugged into the RKL that turn on at 80 degrees to cool it down.

And that's with a crumby used no-name glass heater that was like $15 new back in the day. So imagine titanium.

WonBrothers tends to get on the lower side of reviews TBH and 300 watts does sound like overkill to me.

Jager is still good as noted, but if you want to go another route, ViaAqua Titanium heaters are good as well and seem to get good ratings and come in both 100 watt and 150 watt. I'd go 150 if I were you. But their controllers are built in external and look pretty poorly made.

IMHO i'd go Jager.

Last edited:
I have used them all... and imo all heaters are junk... and all will fail fairly soon between 1 and 2 years usually... always best to have two however and a controller of some sort helps too... so pretty much, imo, regardless of what anyone says, jus find one you like and take the chances...

I've had 3 older style stealths for over 3 years that still work fine.
So go figure.
I have a new 300 watt Finnex with digi control and it's spot on so far.

Back