looking to doing a small sump under my 29

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Looking for suggestions, I have done some research on other forums for ideas. Maybe somebody would like to get together for a few beers and assist me in puting one together. I have a home depot down the street and all i figure i would need is a 20 gallon(appx) size tank and some plumbing ideas. I currently am running a aquaclear 70 (carbon only) and a seaclone 100 skimmer that I would like to possibly drop into the sump as well as my heater. Also I would love to seperate to make a refug if possible. Give me some ideas or tips.....

You know, I might have a complete setup that you could use... overflow box, u-tube, drain tube, sump. I am in Haverhill if you'd like to come see if you could use it. If it doesn't work for you, I can help you make something... I made one for my old 55 gallon tank many moons ago, and am sure we can get one going for you.

Reef55 said:
You know, I might have a complete setup that you could use... overflow box, u-tube, drain tube, sump. I am in Haverhill if you'd like to come see if you could use it. If it doesn't work for you, I can help you make something... I made one for my old 55 gallon tank many moons ago, and am sure we can get one going for you.

I will send you a PM

I made a sump/fuge combo for my 30 out a 20gal tall. I attached a pic of it before it was fully running....Left side is for the skimmer, right for the return and the center is the fuge for cheto and a DSB. Good luck it is a fun and very useful DIY project.

opps....

Attachments

• sumpdry2.jpg
    sumpdry2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 220
ceige said:

Thats exactly what I am looking to do. Couple of questions.

1. What did you use to seperate the 3 compartments and are they glued to the tank?

2. How do you get the water from the tank to the sump?

3. Where can I locate that type of plumbing, I am think home depot has that stuff.

4. And finally, what is that light? looks like a regular worklight with clipon.

Oh and 1 more sory
I notice to have no connection from the inlet and return pipes. What did you use to connect them?

Thanks

1. What did you use to separate the 3 compartments and are they glued to the tank?
Plexi and silicone--AGA silcone with NO MILDEW PReVENTOR
2. How do you get the water from the tank to the sump?
I am using a continuous siphon Overflow
3. Where can I locate that type of plumbing, I am think home depot has that stuff.
I got all the parts at Lowes (you will need to buy a overflow)
4. And finally, what is that light? Looks like a regular work light with clip on.
Yup regular clip on work light (the bulb makes the diff-see pic)

I notice to have no connection from the inlet and return pipes. What did you use to connect them?
This was "pre water" so the return was not set up (see new pic). It has a union on it so I can remove the pump without the plumbing for cleaning or pump replacement.

I got a lot of my ideas from Mel. If you want to do this you MUST research al ot to build your own correctly. http://www.melevsreef.com/how_to_build.html
I used his closed loop design for my return (I am using a SWID on my return). Just make sure you read then read a bit more. Your sump must be designed right to keep your house dry. The overflow, pies and some tank water will drain into your sump if you lose power. You must build your sump to hold that water. You must also allow your return section to run dry and have your tank hold ALL of that water to prevent your tank overflowing. Lots to think about but it is not as hard as it all sounds. Just think it all out and ask lots of questions.

Attachments

• sump[2].jpg
    sump[2].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 154
  • refbulb[1].jpg
    refbulb[1].jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 149
thats some great info ceige thanks. About the overflow, dod you design one like the one on meleev's site? I am thinking I will buy that item.

I knew about the sump holding the water that is held in the plumbing incase of loss to power but would of not thought of it on my own so am glad I got that :)

Now the plexi glass in the sump, is there a specific layout for this? I notice you have 3 pieces on each side with various heights. I was thinking of putting one peice on each side about 1/4 - 1/2 way up the sump. Will this work also?

Just for another way to do it...I have a smaller sump (10Gal) and with a sump that small I had a hard time keeping the refugium in the middle. I ended up using part of Mark Levensons sump in mine by making a rectangular box at the sumps inlet pipe. That box fills up and once it fills up about 3/4 of the way flows into the next chamer which has live sand and algae/chaeto in it (yeah I know I need more in there...it all floated to the top). Then, this is where I went different since the sump is so small. I made an upper baffle about 1 inch off the bottom, but before it I installed one of those "tank seperators" Basically it makes sure none of the chaeto goes under the baffell and into the pump. The other thing I did different was made a lower baffell that is at about a 70-80 deg angle. What that helped me with was when my water level gets low I don't get the "waterfall effect" from that baffell. The water runs down it smooth with no air bubbles (or at least a crapload less) and allows me a little more time between water additions. Oh yeah, I also put a 90 deg elbow on my mag5 inlet to prevent sucking air during lower water levels. Here's a pic. And, yes, I know the water level is a little high in the pic...I was topping off tonight and spaced off... :D
Sump.jpg

Smcnally--I like that idea with the inlet on the mag.....hmmmm may have to add that one in....

Kevin --The Baffle spacing all comes down to your equipment. The baffle height will determine the ability of your sump to accept the entire water in the system (overflow, pipes and what ever will come from your tank itself) drain in the event of a power failure?

The water in mine will flow ?under? the first baffle (left side) and skim over the surface of the fuge in the center. It then travels down into a bubble trap, then over the ?water fall? to the return pump to make sure that bubbles don?t go back into my display.

And Kevin I bought my overflow, I don?t have Marc's skill with plexi....my LFS made me a deal I could not refuse.....

I have ball valves on both the drain into the sump and return to the display. This way I can control the flow and isolate the sump if needed without any water loss from the display......

Once you think you have it, set it up in a basement or outside fill it with a hose get it all running and pull the plug on the return pump?.you will find out fast if it is ready for the real deal? 8 months and running?..knock on wood?

ceige said:
Once you think you have it, set it up in a basement or outside fill it with a hose get it all running and pull the plug on the return pump?.you will find out fast if it is ready for the real deal? 8 months and running?..knock on wood?

That isn't possible :( The tank is all set up. See what you learn AFTER doing a tank. My next tank will have all this stuff DONE before :D

Back