Lots of Bubbling in 1 Return

Liquid

Non-member
Hi All,

Took most all of the water out of my tank today so that I could do some levelling. While at it I also rearranged a bit of rockwork. When I refilled the tank, one of my returns has a tremendous bubbling problem in the sump. The really strange thing is that it works fine if I don't have the Mag 9.5 that supplies water back to that side of the tank on. Any ideas on how to stop the bubbling while having my pumps on? Thanks.

I've tried moving one Durso higher than the other and vice versa, both higher, both lower, I have no idea what is causing this problem. Now I've managed to make the other Durso constantly slurp. Anyone have any ideas or resources on this problem? Thanks.

How are the baffles in your sump setup? It sounds like bubbles are getting into your return section and coming through the pump. With only one pump on, the flow through the sump would be 1/2 and therefore may not produce anywhere near the amount of bubbles as with double the flow.

-Brian

I was having the same issues with my new 125 yesterday. And tried the same things. It eventually went away. It seemed to me though, that it dramatically decreased when I put both dursos lower.

Lol, maybe its a 125 thing, I've been battling the same problem on mine.

Im getting quite a few bubles out of one of my drains, and its causing bubbles to make it back into the return section of my sump... Well we all know what that means.... Bubbles in return = Bubbles in display.... From huge southdown duststorms to microbubbles... When will it end? :roll eyes:

I started to fab up one of the "reverse durso" pipes I saw somewhere, It seems to have helped but I'm not done playing with it yet.

smcnally said:
I was having the same issues with my new 125 yesterday. And tried the same things. It eventually went away. It seemed to me though, that it dramatically decreased when I put both dursos lower.

When you say it eventually went away, are you talking about just running it with the bubbling for a few hours in the hopes that it will self-stabilize? I could do this but I'd like to understand the root cause.

What is a reverse durso? Is that just spinning the intake strainer upside down? I could easily do this if it would help.

Well this is Adam's old tank (Daragon) so I'm pretty sure there is a way to set this up without these problems. Maybe I'll give him a ring and see what his advice is.

Holy cow I may have that setup but forgot to install it. Let me check the basement. That would be awesome!

Based upon some information on WWM, I drilled another hole in the top of the Durso but that did nothing.

Unfortunately this didn't work for me... my bubble problem is too big and it causes the PVC pipe to act like a skimmer. I also called Adam and he didn't seem to have these problems when he set up his tank so I'm at a loss (at least for today).

Liquid said:
Unfortunately this didn't work for me... my bubble problem is too big and it causes the PVC pipe to act like a skimmer. I also called Adam and he didn't seem to have these problems when he set up his tank so I'm at a loss (at least for today).

Yeah, thats about where I left mine, I have a 15" riser that is bubbling over acting like a skimmer now... Im gonna play with it somemore later and see what I can come up with.

It did help a little. I have way less bubbles making it back into my return now. But it still needs more tweaking.

Back