LPS Corals Dying

Jeff

Frags always available!
BRS Member
My LPS corals have been slowly receeding/dying. It first started with my bubble coral then favia and now my hammer, frogspawn & rics are also slowly receeding/dying. All of these corals have been in my tank for over 2.5 yrs. I do water changes and maintenance monthly. Please let me know your thoughts on what is going on here? The alk,cal,mg & phosphate are all testing accordingly. It is a 72 gallon that has been running for over 3 yrs. I have posted pics to show the problems. Thanks!

Attachments

• Optimized.foger1.jpg
    Optimized.foger1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 4,477
  • Optimized.frog.jpg
    Optimized.frog.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4,727
  • Optimized.good_hammer.jpg
    Optimized.good_hammer.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2,288
  • Optimized.hammer.jpg
    Optimized.hammer.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,383
  • Optimized.ric.jpg
    Optimized.ric.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,327
calcium = 420
alk = 8.5

New wrasse added over a month ago.

what have you changed in the past 90 days? this includes all relative things to the tank, filters, power heads, bulbs, etc.

Assuming the term "tested "accordingly" means that the levels are spot on. The next two scenarios that come to mind is something bothering them like another in habitant like s shrinp crab etc. Chemical warfare. some sort of chenical contamination, antibacterial soap or airborne spray. or secondly Stray voltage in the tank from a heater or powerhead.

No changes in the last 90 days, no alk spike either. phosphates tested at skiptons at 005. I have double checked everything!

Just in case,check ammonia.
I just recently had a big serpent star die in the rock work and my green cap is bleaching.

No changes in the last 90 days, no alk spike either. phosphates tested at skiptons at 005. I have double checked everything!

Euphyllids are good indicator organisms that something is awry. My guess would be household contaminants. Smoking, window cleaning, bathroom cleaning, hands in tank w/o gloves? Burning incense? Candles?

I am the only one perfroming maintenance, and clean hands religously before going in.... no gloves though. I also have glass tops if that helps. I do burn candles no incense. Thanks

oh do you feed your LPS? ...bc my fish will pick on my lps while feeding so I feed them when my fish are asleep.

One side note, these corals do not get spot fed. Not sure if this is the cause 2.5 years later?

Do I see some brown slime? It is kind of hard to see in the pictures. It seems the SPS would react before the LPS to parameters. I have lost several corals -- started in my hammers -- to brown slime. It is almost incurable and you need to get them out of your tank immediately if it is brown slime. I did not do it soon enough and the brown slime from my hammer wiped out a beautiful red lobo I had. Look carefully -- if you see any brown slimey stuff -- remove the corals to a hospital tank immediately.

To be honest, I don't see brown jelly. I originally thought that was the culprit but it does not appear to be. Brown jelly disease would be clearly visible correct?

Yup, the brown jelly is normally pretty visible, and FWIW I don't see any in your pics.
Tons of suggestions here, sometimes poop happens. The only thing I would offer would be running fresh carbon. IMO, your tank looks pretty stocked in general, you may just have alot of toxins/warfare going on.
The chance you've been fragging in the display tan. After some Calfo reading, he's really up on fragging outside of the display saying that the mucous of a fragged individual could have some impact on the tank.

I have had similar exp. w/ Caulastrea... over a couple years grew from 4 heads to about 25, then in the course of 2 mos. start to deteriorate. I think I saved by TMPCC dip (2x) and transferred to another system, but it's beyond me why... Have also had sps grow great for a year or more, then all the sudden start sloughing off flesh.. repeated inspections w/ a 30x jeweler's loupe found nothing I could see... fw's or bugs and such.

Back