LPS frag placement

Intheflesh

Non-member
How do you place LPS corals to help promote growth?

I have plates, pagoda cups, goniopora and chalices that are more colony size that I have just placed on the sand/rock work and let them do their own thing. But I have recently recieved frags of maze brain, acan, Blastos and a war coral that I am not really sure where to place them.

I guess i never really thought about how LPS grow. For example, I have a frag of acan. echinata thats maybe 3x4 egg crate squares in size.
Do i need to place this on a rock for growth to adhere? Or do they just grow their own "skeleton" as more polyps form like an SPS?

This may seem like a silly question, but most of my collection is Zoos, SPS and mushrooms. I am just starting to get into LPS and just not sure how to place the frags. TIA

Last edited:
Lps will form their own skeleton. Corals like acans will grow faster on rock. They will follow the share of the rock. If you put them in the sand they will grow in a round shape as they build their skeleton. Other lps like Duncan's and euphylias that branch can be placed where you like as long as the light and flow are correct for the coral. Too much flow can actually pull the polyps from the skeleton. Maze brain is similar to acan. Will grow on rock or form its own. Same with war coral and other favias. Chalices deend on the species whether the follow the rock or not.

Back