LPS/SPS/Softies Pooled Order

jschiavi

Non-member
There havent been any (perhaps for a reason) orders for livestock or coral. I am trying to get one off the ground here in MA.

Background
I am a BU student, who lives in Lexington. I happen to commute, and have been to most of the LFS's in the area. The only thing about them that I do not like is their high prices. I have been trying to find an online source for my reef-addiction, but everywhere seems to have very high shipping rates. This is why I would like to set up a group buy for people in the Boston/MA/NH area to stock my 2 new tanks that I have been slowly trying to add things to as time and money allow.

Information
I would like to host a group buy for all types of corals/polyps for this area using ANY website that offers FREE shipping on orders in the 200$ range. The only place I have seen so far is yourreef.com . If someone else knows of another/better company to use, I have no problem using them. The yourreef shipping information is here. (http://yourreef.com/Shipping.html)

Disclaimer
I ran into some problems on Reef-central with this topic. Here are my oppinions/reasons for doing this. I have 2 small tanks (12 and 15 g), and need to order (usually) small frags to let them grow out within my tank. If I dont, I have to sit and wait for someone at my LFS to accidently knock a frag off of an SPS for me to even think about it. Also, I just cannot afford some of the prices at my LFS. Ive seen some internet prices at more than half of what my LFS charges. I know this may seem as if I am trying to remove business for them... but in all honestly, I dont know how much more money I can send their way.

I am in Lexington, MA and would love to host this. I am fully open to any input others may have on this subject, including changing the company used, size of order, etc. Id like to get this done within the next month because as a student, I am off and will be able to go pick up the package(s) at the UPS drop-off in my area. While I am a "friend of BRS," not a member, I would be willing to either have this sceduled near a meeting, or have a central distribution point if Lexington is not appropriate.

Feel free to use my email rather than Private Messaging. Or respond to this thread. Thanks alot guys.

[email protected]

why don't you post what types of frags you are looking for...chances are that one of the members has frags and would sell to you much cheaper than online at whatever size you are looking for. JMO if that is what you are trying to do....

I'll give you a frag of green tree if you want. we will need to figure out a way to meet but.. I can give you a small unmounted frag. FREE!!!!

sent you a pm...but try the guys at reefdom.com

Ray and Scott, last I heard they had a storefront location secured and they still wanted to be a sponsor so they will probably be a sponsor soon. They can probably set up something for you, or if you just want to stock your tank they have some pretty nice stuff at great prices. Check out their display tanks as well, sometimes you can pick pieces right from them too... last time I was their they had both LPS/SPS...lots of premo acros! Those were nice. So send RAY a pm and see if he can help you out, maybe he will see this and throw in a nickels worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not try pricing w/ a local sponsor?
Shipping really sucks this time of year, mostly due to frigid temps.
We've done pooled orders before with local stores and it worked out well.

Moe_K said:
Why not try pricing w/ a local sponsor?
Shipping really sucks this time of year, mostly due to frigid temps.
We've done pooled orders before with local stores and it worked out well.
This is a good point, you really want to deal with a sponsor...or with ray/scott brcause of the good reputation. With shipping and stuff that moe mentioned you want to make sure the person you deal can get credits if/when anything is DOA. If you do it yourself through a online place...you may eat alot of money cause many have really hard return methods. Some will only give you credit when you reorder with 2x the amount lost plus you repay shipping...so moe has very good pts! Just a word of caution, we all want to save money but make sure you check your source.

For frags in stores check out CRA and Skipton's. I would also check with Greg Hiller (greghiller.com) We got a lot of our frags from Greg. I don't think that the on line stores will beat their price for frags.

Often the "arrive alive" promises for the on line stores are very short (2 hours?). They might claim "Free shipping" for the $200 orders, but you are paying for the container and heat paks somewhere. UPS RED or FED EX is not cheap. I had a credit 3 years ago from a company for $20 worth of snails that was going to cost me $60 to collect.

Last edited:
Also check out Greg Hillers website and some of the other people in the club who have lots of frags. Like Andy said above, unless your looking for some crazy exotics you will find it in the club for cheap

You guys are FREAKING AMAZING. I posted so many times on other sites, and I cant believe how quickly you responded. Heres the deal... I will be PMing you guys about the stuff you might have, because I may not need to do a group buy. Id love to still work one out if other people need it. Let me know if it is needed, and I wouldnt mind setting up the fund transfer, etc with an LFS or Sponsor.

YOU GUYS ROCK. Thanks so much for all of this help... I thought reefers were jXXXXX after my last experiences. Also..I would like some more info on joining BRS as a full fledged member... couldnt find all the details on the homepage. Could anyone tell me where the next meeting is?

We are FREAKING AMAZING :p .

Stick your location in your profile (Ok, I just noticed that you said Lexington, MA) Many of us have frags for free or cheep that are worth driving to the next town over for. There are tons of frags at meetings. Look up "frag swap" there is a thread before each month's meeting.

sdexcalibur1 said:
you will find people on here respond quick, I found the same thing and love it,
this club is awesome...you have come to the right place.

Welcome! You should definitely come to our next meeting. Details about where/when will be available later this week. You'll see a thread in the Reef Talk Forum a few weeks before the meeting announcing who has/needs what frags. Then we have a great frag swap at the meeting. We also have great speakers, not to mention that you'll meet a ton of great people! Come join us!

Back