maintenance schedule

yitbos

Non-member
Good Friaday All,
Does anyone have a good maintenance schedule that they can post. I would like to compare to my routine and see what i may or may not be missing. Thanks

:.

How about you post what you're doing and will fill in what we do.lol
That's a whole lot of typing.

Here you go Bob, Take a Peek

Daily:
Check on my fish, empty the Skimmer, check the temp, top of the tank, and spend 15 minutes cleaning off the 10,000 fingerprints from my two boys.
Weekly:
Sift sand, rock, and sump, clean inside walls of tank (excluding the back) 10-15% water change, clean salt buildup and check salinity and tank chemistry.
Monthly (sometimes):
Remove and clean power heads and pumps. Clean off lighting.

So what else am I overlooking?

That's daily?
Do you need to clean the skimmer cup every day?

Weeky
Sift the sand as well?Do you have a shallow sand bed?

All tank and system are different.

Daily,
For me I walk downstairs to my fish room and inspect the skimmer,refug.,qt tank and the kalkwasser top off daily.If the water in the top off is going down then I know there's no clogs.
Check the temp on the Finnex read ou as well as aalcohol thermometer in the DT.
Maybe wipe the glass with the mag-float and then the outside glass.
Just a general inspection of all the critters and corals.

Weekly:

Check Alk,Ca, Mg,NO3.
Sometimes I'll go 2 weeks.
Refill my kalk top off container and mix in kalk powder.
Clean off halide lenses,clean my hood circulator fans filters.

I think the most important thing is to do a general inspection daily.

From what I see you seem to be on top of things.

Last edited:
Yea I just do a general inspection daily, top off by hand every two days or so (yea I know, get an ATO, its in the works, will still have to top off the 4 gallon though...), then I check calc/alk Wednesdays usually, and mag Sundays, along with a slight dose of Kent iodine. I'll do ph, ammonia, no3 and no4 randomly if something happens or if I'm bored, they don't ever seem to move. I clean the glass daily because mine gets nasty quick. I empty the skimmer every 4-5 days, or when its 3/4 full. Check temp in passing. Clean powerheads anytime there is any substantial buildup on them, which isn't often. Oh yeah, and I waterchange 15% every 10 days or so. That is my main maintenance, and the reason I don't have to dose much. I think thats it. I used to be really neurotic about checking levels every two days, but then I realized it was completely unnecessary. I have calmed down a little on my checks, but still take a real good look at the tank every day. If I didn't though, whats the point of having it?

Jordan

Here's what I do to my 60 cube

Daily:
Check skimmer, check filter sock, feed fish, top off sump, dose BRS two-part and give everything a quick look and see

Wed & Sun:
Add 5ml of SeaChem Reef Iodide and 14ml of AquaVitro Fuel

Weekly:
Change 5 gallon of water, empty and clean skimmer cup

Bi-weekly:
Change carbon and SeaChem PhosGuard in BRS reactor, test water

Monthly:
Test magnesium level and adjust accordingly

Every six months:
Run every pump in my system (2 reactor pumps, skimmer, return, MP40) in a vinegar bath for 2-3 days to clean. Have plenty of spare pumps and swap them every couple of days until done in two weeks.

Back