Mandarin :: Faded Colors

jtma508

Non-member
Last week I added a 'psychedelic' Mandarin to my reef community. The tank is about 8mos old with a fuge and lots (I mean LOTS) of pods. He's been eating fine (and continues to) and has no problem finding food. He's acting normally, no one is harassing him and overall he seems pretty happy bopping around the tank and snapping-up goodies as he goes. This morning I noticed that his colors are faded. He's still acting normally and eating and otherwsie looks fine. What could this be a sign of?

When you noticed this color fading where the lights off? I have fish that seem to get brighter once the lights are on. That was my first thought.

Also to help troubleshoot how big is the tank and what are the parameters of the tank?

Tank params are completely normal. Nothing out-of-whack. I noticed it shortly after the 10k's came on which is 2hrs after the actinics. The tank is a 90gal with a 25gal sump/fuge. Like I said, other than the fading (his head and tail areas are still brightly colored) he's acting perfectly normal. There are no other 'issues' in the tank.

*whew* saw my mandy i guess sleepin a couple mornings ago, i can usually never see her when shes sleepin but this morning she was right out front, almost all pale. thought she was dead, came home from work and she was fine and all colorful again.

I think you sussed it, kotu. I had to do bulb replacement this afternoon so took the fixture down. When I put it back up and turned the lights back on there he was all bright and shiny. He was looking at me like he was saying, 'What?'. Whew. Nervous new parent. Sorry folks.

Back