Marine Depot Live Rock...

TBoisvert

Non-member
Has anyone ordered the premium figi rock through Marine depot? Is it decent? I am researching packages through many places and wondered if anyone has ordered through Marine Depot.

Thanks

Tammie

i purchased 45lbs of uncured figi about 2 years ago from Marine Depot Live
it had nice coraline growth on it, nice shapes, pourous and light weight. No life on it or hitch-hikers

biggest downside is you get what they send you cant pick and choose pieces like you could if you bought it locally but sometimes its easyier that way

LiveAquaria rock was awesome! Not sure about Marine Depot, but I've bought other stuff from them before and it was great!

Thanks guys, I really wanted to get some life along with it... I will check out liveaquaria.

Thanks,

Tammie

I will second the vote for the liveaquaria. Just make sure that the Fiji rock is on sale (it usually is, but every now and again it goes off sale, just wait 2 or3 days and you'll save $30).

Eric

I started a string on pooled orders for some, in pooled orders.
LFS said they'd match the price ( assume quality as well. Isn't LA rock ordered from
Walt Smith?)

Jump in and lets see how many boxes we can get.

Another A+ for LA. I ordered a 30 lb box of select Lalo and it was super. At one time I posted photos of the rock. Like Delta I had no hitchhikers on any of the rock I got.

So, would I be better off getting the live rock through LA and ordering a clean up crew separately through them... Clean up crew is more expensive than I imagined. I love the way TBS has a good size clean up crew included with their packages, but I am in no way going to wait months for an order.

Tam

Well, I just ordered through LA. I ordered 45 lbs and we'll see what happens. I will receive it on Thursday.

Thank you all for your help,
Tammie

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.....

Most all of the figi and other brand name pacific rock comes from Walt smith. The difference between retailers / e-tailers is the price and how well they handle it. It's all pretty much the same quality rock.

Florida rock is different. It's generally rock that has been collected inland and seeded in the ocean for a long time. It tends to be much more dense, but usually has a whole lot of life on it.

If your going to order rock online get it 1 st day and not 2nd, less die off. Before you order you should compare bottom line prices against what you can get locally. After shipping the local prices at our better reef stores are pretty comprable but you get to pick your peices when you buy.

Check the pirces for LR at CRA, AA, Fishybuisness, skiptons, and others in the sponsors fourm (or rather call and ask).

IMO it's not worth it to order LR anymore, you can do better overall locally.

jk

We were typing at the same time.

You should like what you get, it's all the same stuff. Just trying to encourage bringing buisness to our local sponsors (since I like all of them a lot and we are much better off having them around)

jk

:) I agree with you about using lfs. I have been buying from one of our sponsors and will continue to buy from him.... he was AWESOME with getting me everything I needed and I spent a bundle with him. I am odering this shipment to give a good start to my tank. With shipping, I am paying $3.33/lb. I am going to need about 125+ lbs, so I will also hand pick some from my favorite lfs (not exactly local, but worth the trip). I will know soon enough if it is worth it, and I do hope it was. Thanks for all of your help.

Tammie

You may want to try adding some dead base rock in with the live rock. I have not done this personally, but a lot of people seem to have very good luck with this method. You can get the dry rock very cheap (I think your favorite LFS has a box by his front door) and when seeded with the live rock it slowly becomes live as well.

Thank you Jill & Brian, I have already purchased 40 lbs. of dead rock from Sea Creatures. I tried purchasing more last week, but he didn't have any so I will be back there to get about another 40 lbs. I know Marco has awesome rock, but the drive is just too far for us to take.

Thanks for your help.

Tammie

Back